RE: [hyades-dev] The state of the HCE project

I will not pretend that I have been deep in this thread of discussion, and Richard Duggan is the lead for this area. Richard is out on some vacation for a while so I feel I should comment.

First, a guiding principal is that we make changes to the existing and so far well working system based on well identified requirements, and we make those changes in the spirit of no breaking apis, a minimum of 3 years of support once provided, and on the development cycles defined for Hyades. There are a set of these requirements, although as yet poorly documented other than a single line in the plan on the web site.

Second is a somewhat obvious commitment that we actually leverage and exploit these capabilities in our own Hyades tools.

I have assumed that all these design discussions are within these contexts, and the upcoming face to face meeting is intended to close on the current discussions and close on some of the implementations.

That said, the current system certainly can not go away and in fact has to continue, and this has to be more than code reuse. It has to preserve the current support and grow to meet the new needs.

Mike has added another good point in that it make s perfect sense to be able to use some of the components in Hyades in other execution environments and we don't want to discourage that, but not at the cost of depreciating our own infrastructure. If there are specific issues we have, then we need to address them, and I leave that to the subsystem workgroups to resolve.

Thanks for your time.
Harm Sluiman, STSM,
phone:905-413-4032   fax: 4920
cell: 416-432-9754
mailto:sluiman@xxxxxxxxxx
Admin : Gabrielle Chapman chapmaga@xxxxxxxxxx  Tie: 969-2323

"Nguyen, Hoang M" <hoang.m.nguyen@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/31/2004 10:39 PM

Please respond to
hyades-dev

<hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [hyades-dev] The state of the HCE project

Allan,

Here are my opinions:

·         First, we don't really get rid of the current system.
The new system will adopt and reuse many working features and code
such as: shared memory operations, inter-process communication,
process startup, socket management, thread management, configuration,
build system, etc.

·         We are re-structuring the existing systems with components
and introducing better and cleaner interface between these.
We re-define and formalize a lot of custom commands to become
standard interfaces.

·         Regarding the usage of XML vs. binary structure, it is much like C, C++, Java, C# or even Visual Basic. Each has its own advantage and its own place in the application implementation.

We tried to put in place the infrastructure that supports both XML and binary structure. It depends on the purpose of the application, the user has the option to use either.

Intel software tools such as VTune requires performance and place strong emphasis on that criteria. Others may not.

We make sure our new system supports SOAP messages. That is another option that other products may want to make use.
We want to create and foster a common multi-purpose infrastructure.

·         There are specs and various implementation of system out there.
But can you really recommend a system to start from?
Personally, I don’t think there is one. Each system has certain pros and cons. Each system will require similar or even much more amount of work to customize and make it flexible. Each may be specialized for a single purpose.

VTune product has its own remote communication component providing similar capability to HCE. But we have evaluated and decided that
it is better to adopt and create a common infrastructure for all products (across different companies as well)
instead of spending the effort to maintain our own propriety component
for our product usage only.

It is the intention this new open source HCE infrastructure will provide the needed plumbing work that no other product will ever need to re-invent the wheel.
By using the same plumbing, all products can interoperate better.

In short, we do want to leverage existing implementation and
adopt the best standards possible. That is why we continuously
solicit inputs and encourage more participation.

We start out initially with the current HCE,
define a flexible plug-in architecture,
and add on new components with the best selected technologies
that we are aware of.

This is where we need to work together as a community
to validate and contribute to this effort of building this common infrastructure.

Right now, we think the current HCE is the best system to start from
unless anyone can point out a better system that
can really help shorten our development effort to achieve our goals.

Just my own humble opinion.
Like Allan, I welcome more inputs and comments to this topic.