From: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Barr, Dan
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 11:37 AM
To: hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [hyades-dev] Notes from HCE protocol meeting 7/29/04

>>Someone brought up the reference counting of agents. They suggested
that
some agents, once started, don't want to be stopped when the last client

disconnects....<<
Yes, I was the original troublemaker on this one -- sorry ;-)

Had a thought after our call: I'm not sure who originally suggested
putting
the "don't kill me" attribute in the agent metadata (probably Andy), but
it
immediately appealed to me. The self-documenting aspect of this approach
is
very appealing. I also agree with the objections that were raised. A
"NEVER
kill me" is too restrictive, and limits agent flexibility. How about
this -
a metadata attribute which specifies "check before killing me" and a new
agent message which the HCE would send inquiring whether it's OK to kill
the
agent. If the agent, even after having this attribute specified in the
metadata, does not respond to the message, it should be terminated as in
the
default case. However, if the agent responds by saying "no, don't kill
me",
this could help in the case where we think there are "agent leaks"
(although
I'm sure this would never happen to any of US :-) and also helps a
developer/user (who is puzzled by the agent behavior) more easily
understand
the agent's intentions.

Thoughts?