RE: [hyades-dev] Notes from HCE protocol meeting 7/29/04

>>Someone brought up the reference counting of agents. They suggested that
some agents, once started, don't want to be stopped when the last client
disconnects....<<
Yes, I was the original troublemaker on this one -- sorry ;-)

Had a thought after our call: I'm not sure who originally suggested putting
the "don't kill me" attribute in the agent metadata (probably Andy), but it
immediately appealed to me. The self-documenting aspect of this approach is
very appealing. I also agree with the objections that were raised. A "NEVER
kill me" is too restrictive, and limits agent flexibility. How about this -
a metadata attribute which specifies "check before killing me" and a new
agent message which the HCE would send inquiring whether it's OK to kill the
agent. If the agent, even after having this attribute specified in the
metadata, does not respond to the message, it should be terminated as in the
default case. However, if the agent responds by saying "no, don't kill me",
this could help in the case where we think there are "agent leaks" (although
I'm sure this would never happen to any of US :-) and also helps a
developer/user (who is puzzled by the agent behavior) more easily understand
the agent's intentions.

Thoughts?