Re: [hyades-dev] PMC transition and Post-3.0 plan

Yes we unfortunately live in a world of parallel work ;-)

3.0.1 is a maintenance stream from 3.0.0.
3.1.0 is the next release with no breaking APIs etc. as described in the original note.

As you know, the . in the number is a critical and meaningful piece of information for eclipse plugins and update manager etc..

If you are interested, there is a draft document with some details about the thoughts of content in the various point releases, plus what is in Bugzilla as targeted enhancements and defects. The document is at
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextools.cgi/~checkout~/hyades-home/docs/unapproveddrafts/project%20info/plans/3+/FeatureSummary.htm
but be aware this is draft and not closed or approved as yet.

Thanks for your time.
Harm Sluiman, STSM,
phone:905-413-4032   fax: 4920
cell: 416-432-9754
mailto:sluiman@xxxxxxxxxx
Admin : Gabrielle Chapman chapmaga@xxxxxxxxxx  Tie: 969-2323

Allan K Pratt <apratt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/02/2004 01:37 PM

Please respond to
hyades-dev

hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [hyades-dev] PMC transition and Post-3.0 plan

Mike,

At the risk of "fracturing the discussion," has anybody else noticed that
there are two releases in September? I don't know what "coverage
expansion" means, and neither will people deciding which Hyades to pull
and why. (I'd check that URL but the external network is down or too
slow.)

Furthermore, having those two releases with very similar version numbers
is going to be a problem. The numbers 3.1 and 3.01 are only
distinguishable if you see them both in the same sentence. If you see
"3.1" written or hear it spoken by itself, it's ambiguous: you don't know
whether the writer or speaker is being imprecise and is really referring
to 3.01.

I'll take this to hyades-dev if you think it's appropriate, but I wanted
to ask on the side in case it has already been discussed.

-- Allan Pratt, apratt@xxxxxxxxxx
Rational software division of IBM