Re: [hyades-dev] WAS data collection agent

George, I know why you need to do this on the server side, but it seems we can shorting the path between the first time your code gets the data and it arriving at the workbench.

Perhaps the servlet can reuse a logging agent to send the events to any attached workbench. Via remote launch you could run a small Java app that basically creates and agent, and dialogs with the workbench, and also has the job of poking the servlet when it needs data based on a config. That app can hold an agent channel open and the servlet can get to it by name.

This puts everything on the same server and fits to the basic corm layers we have. It also helps us avoid having to define and standardize some new protocols quickly in Hyades. Over time I am sure we will need to work out an HTTP(S) com layer but we should do that design with a lot of thought.

Thanks for your time.
Harm Sluiman, STSM,
phone:905-413-4032   fax: 4920
cell: 416-432-9754
mailto:sluiman@xxxxxxxxxx
Admin : Gabrielle Chapman chapmaga@xxxxxxxxxx  Tie: 969-2323

george.christelis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/26/2004 07:05 AM

Please respond to
hyades-dev

hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[hyades-dev] WAS data collection agent

Hi all,

We are building a data collection agent to retrieve performance counters
from WebSphere Application Server, possibly via a http servlet. Any
feedback you may have on the proposed agent would be appreciated.

Server performance counters will be monitored remotely and will allow
for pluggable transports while not replicating any server specific
packages. Querying the Pmi counters must therefore be performed server
side, possibly by a deployed servlet which will connect to the
application server and retrieve the requested performance data. This
data will then be transferred to the datacollection agent via
SOAP/HTTP(S). This seems to be the cleanest and most effective way of
implementing the link between the server JVM and the agent. The typical
behaviour of this counter monitoring would be as follows:

- The client side will create a connection using a specific transport
(RAC, etc..) and the resource agent will be launched.
- The resource agent will load a WSAS Collection DLL, in much the same
way as the current Perfmon agent loads sysperf.dll.
- The Collection DLL is then responsible for creating a SOAP/HTTP(S)
connection to the Pmi/Jmx servlet on the server.
- The servlet queries the Pmi counters and returns the statistical data
via the HTTP connection.

Ideally, a direct SOAP connection from the Collection DLL to the Servers
SOAP connector would bypass the need for the servlet. Is the schema for
the WebSphere SOAP connector available? Does anyone have any information
on this?

Thanks,
                George