[hyades-dev] Byte ordering

I’m hoping everyone with a stake in the Hyades collector protocol design can give me quick feedback on this:

Should the standard byte ordering for basic protocol values, such as the payload size in layer zero, be Big Endian or Little Endian?

If I understand correctly Big Endian would be more natural for the Java client (although I wouldn’t want to assume all our clients will always be Java-based), but server implementations will be running on both types of architecture.  So that would seem to favor Big Endian.  As I said in one of my other documents, I’d like to see us have a way to negotiate byte-ordering in places where a lot of data is being passed, but for just the protocol headers, the processing time for reordering should be negligible.

Any thoughts?

-Andy

Back to the top