[hyades-dev] Hyades test structure

Hi everyone.

I was actioned on the previous committer call to come up with a structure for Hyades JUnit and manual tests for all plugins.  I've attached a zip file containing a couple of plugins which map to my recommendations.  The plugins for which I have created example JUnit and Manual tests are "org.eclipse.hyades.statistical.ui" and "org.eclipse.hyades.perfmon".

Here are my suggestions:

1. For manual testcases, a new plugin called "org.eclipse.hyades.tests.manual" is created which contains all manual tests for all plugins.  Inside this plugin, each Hyades plugin has a directory which can be populated with Hyades manual testsuites.

(see the plugin "org.eclipse.hyades.tests.manual" in the ZIP file)

2. For JUnit testcases, a new plugin called "org.eclipse.hyades.tests.junit" is created which contains all JUnit tests for all plugins.  Inside this plugin, each Hyades plugin has a directory which is populated with JUnit tests.  Each of these directories is added as a source folder to the plugin's Java Build Path.

Each of these directories must contain a JUnit TestSuite of the form <plugin name>.AllTests - this TestSuite is expected to contain all the tests for that plugin.

When a new plugin is created the plugin name is added to the whole-of-Hyades testsuite "org.eclipse.hyades.AllTests".

To run all Hyades JUnit tests, create a new JUnit launch configuration with the following settings:
        Project:          org.eclipse.hyades.tests.junit
        Test Class:     org.eclipse.hyades.AllTests

(see the plugin "org.eclipse.hyades.tests.junit" in the ZIP file)

If anyone has any suggestions about this please reply to this email on hyades-dev.
One possibility for discussion is that I can see is that the JUnit launch configuration has an option to search for tests under a directory and run them all.  If we used this method rather than having an overall Hyades testsuite then we wouldn't need to add plugins to the overall testsuite but we would miss out on a nice plugin-based structure for the test results and we wouldn't be able to exclude tests from the overall Hyades testsuite.  It's a very small amount of work to add a new plugin (see the README) but if people feel it would be easier to just have the launch configuration search for the testcases then I am open to suggestions.

thanks

Antony