Re: [hyades-dev] U2TP Compliance of 3.0 driver

Harm,

Overall I think the position is as you state, but the non-final aspect relates mainly to the behavioural piece, not things like test case/suite/context which are I think more stable, and there are many fewer people affected if we change now than if we make breaking changes post 3.0 when we have more widespread adoption.

Can we have a view from Serge?

Harm Sluiman wrote:

I believe that Hyades declared it would assess becoming U2TP compliant once 2 constraints where met. At one time we thought that would be in this time frame.

1. UML2 and the U2TP proposals were actually ratified and fully approved at OMG. My understanding is that this is close but not yet the case.

2. We have access to the UML2 eclipse project in order to exploit it as needed. My understanding is that this project is now underway, but it is not far enough along for us to make 3.0 commitments of dependancy.

These two fact lead me to conclude we are not intending to be UML2 or U2TP compliant in this release. Making incremental adjustments along the way that are not API breaking may be feasible on a case by case basis, but other than that, the cost of migration utilities and support for backward compatibility is not something we wanted to commit to.

Thanks for your time.
Harm Sluiman, STSM,
phone:905-413-4032   fax: 4920
cell: 416-432-9754
mailto:sluiman@xxxxxxxxxx
Admin : Gabrielle Chapman chapmaga@xxxxxxxxxx  Tie: 969-2323

Michael.Norman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/19/2004 01:11 PM

Please respond to
hyades-dev

hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[hyades-dev] U2TP Compliance of 3.0 driver

One of the things that came up at the management call was the U2TP
compliance or otherwise of the M9 driver.  I believe that we stated
Hyades would be U2TP compliant.  This means if we are not we should
raise bugs.  I am not personally competent to check for compliance, and
unfortunately Serge who is the interface point with the U2TP wasn't on
the call.  I have asked George Din to check with Ina Schieferdecker at
FOKUS, however I would like to raise the following issues which seem to
be floating aound and see if we can close them over email.

1) We seem to use Test Suite instead of the now-current Test Context
2) The Manual Test and the HTTP Test seem to use Test Suite and Test
Case where they should be using Test Case and Test Component
3) There seems to be some concept of a Test Motivator floating around
that we don't understand.

Feedback on this ASAP would be good.