RE: [hyades-dev] Proposal for embedded annotations in Test Model

Using the query part of the URI is a good idea, Marius, and will allow us to better support external annotations using relative URIs in the future.  I'll probably do that.

Thanks,
--Joe

Joe Toomey
Advisory Software Engineer
Rational Software
IBM Software Group
tel: (781) 676-7668
fax: (781) 676-7640

Marius Slavescu <slavescu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/13/2004 02:27 PM

Please respond to
hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
RE: [hyades-dev] Proposal for embedded annotations in Test Model

Joe,

I would say that to be consistent with EMF URI approach you could create a relative URI by using the query part, here is what will go in the location attribute:

   ?annotationID=/internal_path_to_annotation_file/Annotation1.gif

this will be relative to the resource (where /
internal_path_to_annotation_file will be relative to the root of the XMI ZIP resource folder structure).

If you use:

   internal_path_to_annotation_file/Annotation1.gif

this will look like a URI to an external resource (relative to the resource folder) instead of an embedded file.

If you use:

   #internal_path_to_annotation_file/Annotation1.gif

this will look like an URI (fragment) to a contained object and this will be confusing because you don't have this containment specified in the model.

By using the query part you can define (and later redefine) the retrieve/store mechanism.

Thanks!

Marius

Tuesday, April 13, 2004 1:40 PM