Re: [hyades-dev] Profiling Limits

Joe,

We have toyed with the idea of doing sample based profiling.  In fact, I
have gone so far as to implement a base fucntion for this in the profiling
agent that used time based intervals to take stack samples.  To date, we
have not taken this any further forward then the prototype stage.  This is
primarly due to some issues we were having with some JVM's; depending upon
the JVM and the JIT the ability to do stack traversals was very fragile.

In the future, it would be great if you could direct these sorts of
questions to the newsgroup.  The hyades-dev list is primarly inteded for
development level discussions.  The newsgroups are for general questions.

Thanks for your interest in Hyades,

Richard K. Duggan
Problem Determination Enablement
IBM Toronto Laboratory
External: 905-413-2396
Internal: 969-2396

             jingg_zh@cs.conco
             rdia.ca
             hyades-dev-admin@         hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             eclipse.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/12/2004 11:01          [hyades-dev] Profiling Limits
             AM

             Please respond to
                hyades-dev

Hi, I'd like to ask some question about Profiling Limits in Hyades. Can I
set
up profiling limits like the sampling, i.e., profiling every 100 nonseconds
or
every 1000 methods? If not, which part of hyades can I modify to meet my
goal?
Right now, there are options in the "profiling Limits" page of "Launch Java

Process" wizard to limit the amount of collected data (for example, stop
profiling after 10000 method invocations or after 5 second). Thank you for
your
time.

Joe