[hyades-dev] Plugin changes for 3.0 - your action required

Hi everybody
As you might now, we have started the effort of moving Hyades to Eclipse 3.0 and plan to have a first drop to wswb by the of next week.

Can you please go over the plugins you own, including nl, infopop and doc plugins and make sure they are Eclipse 3.0 compliant.
I tried to fix all the plugins so we can have a clean build by eod today which means some of your plugins might be already updated.
See below the things you should look for when porting the code.

Manifest (plugin.xml) changes:

* The header of the manifest files for plug-ins (and plug-in fragments) has changed to include a new line which identifies the appropriate plug-in manifest version.

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
       <?eclipse version="3.0"?>

       <plugin ...>
       </plugin>

        All our plugins should have this line.

* For 3.0, all plug-ins that reference API classes in the org.eclipse.core.runtime or org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility plug-ins must explicitly include the following line in the plug-in manifest:

        <import plugin="org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility"/>

        See the migration guide for details.

* The org.eclipse.ui plugin was restructured, and some functionality was moved to the following plugins:

        org.eclipse.ui.ide
        org.eclipse.ui.views
        org.eclipse.ui.editor
        org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor
        org.eclipse.jface.text

        You will need to import these dependencies in the plugin manifests, and update your classpath.

Source changes

IWorkbenchPage (package org.eclipse.ui)

* public IEditorPart openEditor(IFile input)

        This method was removed because it is IDE-specific. Instead, use:
        org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IWorkbenchPage, IFile, boolean)

* public IEditorPart openEditor(IFile input, String editorID)

        This method was removed for the same reason. Instead, use:
        openEditor(new FileEditorInput(input), editorID)

IEditorRegistry (package org.eclipse.ui)

* public IEditorDescriptor getEditors(IFile input)

        This method disappeared in 3.0, without any documentation explaining why.
        Use the String version instead: getEditors(input.getName())

For the 3.0 migration guide, see:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/porting/eclipse_3_0_porting_guide.html

Thank you,
Valentina Popescu