[hyades-dev] Model Unification

There's a proposal floating around in the Test Model Group to abolish
the Test Execution History Model and use the Log Model instead.  The
discussion is in the minutes of the Test Model Group but it strikes me
as something that might be usefully flagged up to the project as a
whole. The underlying point is that we have too many models, or rather
too little commonality between the models, and when we build
model-specific tools we may need to do major re-factoring if we
subsequently unify the underlying models.

However we dress this up, it is a breaking API change.  Are we allowed
to do this?  does anyone care?

Is this the right unification to make, or should we be trying to unify
the Execution History with the Trace Model, through some "missing link"
which could also form the basis of non-Java traces (such as those used
to build HTTP Tests), and possibly even eventually unify Test and Trace
Models?

Those of you who know the history know we did a load of navel gazing
about this stuff and then decided it was too hard, too bound up with
UML2 which was still half-baked and which wasn't well handled by EMF,
and we needed practical solutions in the short term.  What is the
process and time-line for re-opening the discussions?

Mike

Back to the top