RE: [hyades-dev] Re: Hyades Deployment

Hi Neil,

Yeah -- I see that there is no documentation in the model for those classes...

The reason for adding these two classes is to remove the tight coupling of CFGDeployableInstance and CFGLocation.

Historically, the DeployableInstance classes were added because an SUT, TestComponent or Arbiter can be used by more than one TestSuite, so we clearly couldn't have  associations from any of those classes to a Location (since the Location could clearly change between TestSuites.)  So, we realized these associations (from the U2TP) as "instance" classes that are owned by the TestSuite and contain a reference to the higher level classes.

More recently, we began discussing how we could specify a few remaining scenarios that are common to load testing:

1) "I'd like to specify that certain component instances should run in the same process or the same thread."
2) "I'd like to group certain component instances that should be deployed in the same location."
1) "I'd like to have n runtime instances of a given component, and I'd like to deploy a on NodeA, b on NodeB, and c on NodeC (a+b+c == n)"

In looking at the model to answer your questions, I saw that our model changes didn't capture #3, so I discussed this with Serge and made a small addition to capture this as well.  This is essentially what we discussed in the meeting a few weeks ago, but since the changes haven't been reviewed, it's not official yet.

Having said that, I'm attaching another cut of the model.  This contains the addition I just referenced, as well as model documentation for the two classes you asked about.  I think it will all be clear from there.  If not, please ask again.  :-)

Thanks,
--Joe

Joe Toomey
Senior Staff Software Engineer
Rational Software
IBM Software Group
tel: (781) 676-7668
fax: (781) 676-7640

Neil.Sanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/15/2003 11:53 AM

Please respond to
hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
RE: [hyades-dev] Re: Hyades Deployment

Hey Joe

Could you briefly explain the purpose of CFGArtifact and
CFGDeploymentSpec please.

Thanks
Neil