From: Richard Duggan [mailto:rduggan@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 12:15 PM
To: Hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [hyades-dev] Propose changes/additions to Execution team interfaces

Team,

As part of the data collection teams efforts to implement the runtime side
functionality of the interfaces dropped by the Execution team we have come
across a couple of issues we would like to have changed if posible.  Here is
the list.

***  Replacement of the IChannelReader interface with the IDataChannel
interface
As part of our work of implementing the data channel bindings in Java and
runtime in C, we thought it would be better to make the channels use streams
instead of 'roll your own' handlers.  We came up with the
org.eclipse.hyades.collection.framework.channel. IDataChannel interface.  I
would like to have this replace the IChannelReader interface and move it to
the org.eclipse.hyades.execution.core package.  (As a side note, we intend
to change this new interface slightly so that the streams are 'getters'
instead of 'setters' as this is the wrong paradigm.  You can inspect the
interface in CVS.

*** Addition of a IProcessConsole interface
The name may not be correct, but we have a requirement for console
interaction with our IExecutor realizations that map to processes.  We have
defined the org.eclipse.hyades.collection.framework.executor.IProcessConsole
interface for obtaining streams for each of the stdin, stdout, and stderr
native streams.   You can inspect the interface in CVS.

*** Provide a getter for the IProcessConsole on the IExecutor
Once a IExecutor relaization has been launched it is ncessary to obtain its
console through some means.  It makes sence to provide a getter on the
IExecutor interface for achieving this.  This is another substantiation for
wanting to rename this.

*** Make the IOrderedProperty interface extend the clonable interface
When dealing with IOrderedProperties it often becomes necessary to make a
copy of the original for local modification.  Addition of the clonable
interface would standardize this and save persons from continuously writing
the same copy code.

*** Addition of a IExecutorComponentStateChangeListener
We need a means of knowing when IExecutionComponent's chage state.  This
could be achieved with a IExecutionComponentStateChangeListener type of
interface. In it's absence, we have opted to provide a
IExecutionCompletionListener to our Executor implementation.

*** Removal of the createExecutor method on the IExecutionEnvironment
interface
I figured I would throw this one in while I was at it.  I don't agree with
this method.  It tighly couples the IExecutor implementation with the
IExecutionEnvironment interface and implies a heirarchy of
IExecutionComponents.  If we do this right we should be able to swap
implementation in and out of the heirarchy.

Thanks,

Richard K. Duggan
Problem Determination Enablement
IBM Toronto Laboratory