[hyades-dev] Extensions to the Hyades framework

Hi all,

The UI team has been debating for a while about what would be the correct way to register extensions to the Hyades framework.  Today in a meeting of the Test model subgroup we had that discussion and it was agreed that we will adopt the  "test type" approach instead of the "usage pattern" one.  In this meeting we had at least 2 people from the UI group and 2 from the execution group so I believe the groups with greater interest in this subject were well represented.

As defined in the meeting:
  • Tests are typed.  The type is a unique value stored in a string attribute of some classes
  • Each Hyades extension (Editor, Execution Environment, etc) can declare the test types it supports.  By not declaring a type, the extension indicates that it supports any test.
  • If there is more than one "type" of extension for the same test type - such as 2 execution environments for a HTTP test - the workbench should ask which one is supposed to be used and then store the select extension as the "default" choice for that particular test type,  so there would be no need to ask the user to select it again.   If required, we may evolve this in a future release to be a preference of each resource.
  • The user should be able to change the default Hyades extension to be used by each type through the preference page - mimicking the metaphor used to defined which is the preferred editor of a given file extension.
  • The test type *can* be registered to the Hyades framework through the plugin extension point mechanism.  By registering its types, a vendor would be able to provide translatable labels and descriptions for them.

    This has a big impact on the code the UI team has been working on.  I am expecting to have those changes implemented by Friday what would be too late for this Thursday's voting session.

    Best regards,

    Marcelo Paternostro
    IBM Toronto Lab
    Voice: 1-905-413-3942