[hyades-dev] Data Collection meeting notes 27 - March - 2003

Attendees:  Richard Duggan, Victor Havin, Kim Coleman

Meeting Agenda
- identify requirements of the control channel.
- working toward the control channel definition with the intent of being
able to draw up a preliminary design by next week.

Results:
The following requirements were identified for the control channel
      a.  Version support
      b.  protocol agnostic at the application level.  We will not define
the protocol for moving data.
      c. protocol agnostic at the data link level.  We may be more flexible
on this one.  TCP/IP may be an acceptable binding.
      c.  secure
      d. extensible
      e. high performing - required by the load test tools.

There are various mechanisms that currently exist for doing messaging, we
identified five possible means of meeting the previously stated
requirements.
      a.  Java Messaging Service (JMS)
      b.  CORBA (IIOP)
      c.  SOAP
      d.  roll our own.
      e. hybrid of the four above.

JMS sounded like it was going to be the most feasable solution.  There were
concerns about the serialization of Java objects.  SOAP just sounds to
heavy for the 'many small messages' requirements of the load tools.

Actions:
1.  Victor will further investigate the JMS as a messaging infrastructure.
2.  Kim will look into CORBA.

Thanks,

Richard K. Duggan
Problem Determination Enablement