[hyades-dev] [YOUR ACTION REQUIRED] Dynamic control usecase discussion

Hi,

I mentioned at the last meeting that I would come up with a usecase for
"exercising dynamic control over a running test".

I've attatched an MDL file with a couple of sequence diagrams.  One is
how I would envisage Scapa doing dynamic control using only message
passing with proprietary message content.  The other specifies how Scapa
would do dynamic control if semaphores and shared variables were
included in the eclipse api.

(The launch test part of the diagrams may be innacurate - I am assuming
that the earlier usecases will specify this more accurately)

(In the generic diagram, I have not addressed the problem of how the two
sub Executors will find out about the semaphore they wait on.  I thought
it best to leave this out until we have made some decision on whether
we, in general, prefer the proprietary method or the generic method)

I see two possible problems with the proprietary method:
	1) the user / test tool has to send proprietary messages to the
controlling Executor in order to exercise the dynamic control
	2) I am unclear how monitoring of the variables and semaphores
would work

My own preference is the generic method, where the variables and
semaphores would be defined in the Eclipse api.  I should point out
though that I think I would be happy for full implementation of the
interfaces to be optional.

cheers

Antony