[higgins-dev] Re: [xdi] reactions on paper "When owl:sameAs isn?t the Same..."

Thanks Drummond.

Here are a few more thoughts:

1) I think that h:correlation (c. 2005) is the same as oguid:identical [1] (c. 2008) although I've not studied that too carefully. A quote from [1]:

The property oguid:identical indicates two resources are co-referent. In other words, they refer to the same real world thing.

Open GUID identity is defined pragmatically as referring to the same concept beyond a reasonable doubt. The major determinant is if the average human perceives the resources as referring to the same thing.

The linking implication can be described as being between OWL sameAs and RDFS seeAlso. The sameAs property declares equivalence of semantic representations; thus it should be used carefully to avoid confusing logical reasoners. The seeAlso property provides additional information; nothing useful can be inferred from the link. The identical property declares equivalence of referents; thus it allows reasoners to use local representations while still maintaining global context.

2) The concept of coreference [2] may also be helpful.

3) In Higgins the to co-referents must exist in different contexts.

With that as background, I'd like to say that it would be great if we could arrive at a precise semantic (irrespective of predicate name, $ word, etc.) that we could all use. If this TC comes up with a compatible but more precisely worded definition, I'd like nothing more than to copy/paste that definition into [3].

On Jun 25, 2010, at 1:03 AM, Drummond Reed wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> Agreed (although I think you meant "symmetric" vs. transitive)

Paul, you're right, we did mean symmetric.

BTW, though we spent the last half of today's telecon discussing this issue, and agreed that the full $is semantics --- i.e. the semantics of a full identity relation -- is too strong for just "observed correlation", we didn't yet get into either:

1) What the precise definition would be for this weaker form of identity relation.

2) What the XDI $word for it would be.

I think the TC is open to suggestions for both. My suspicion is that the definition is probably along the lines of one of the four options discussed in http://www.w3.org/2009/12/rdf-ws/papers/ws21 (probably "4.1 Same Thing As But Referentially Opaque" or "4.2 Same Thing As But Different Context" or some combination of these two).

My only suggestion to a $word for this weaker form is $as. Example:

=drummond/$as/@golfclub+member!43

The semantics of $as would be "an identity relation between two XDI subjects in which there is not a requirement that all properties of one subject apply to the other and vice versa, nor a requirement that for XDI statement consistency across their respective XDI graphs."

That's just a strawman - hack away.

=Drummond