Re: [higgins-dev] Sub-contexts

Joseph, see inline...

On Jun 10, 2010, at 5:12 PM, Joseph Boyle wrote:

> This has some good discussion and links both in the post and comments: http://decentralyze.com/2010/03/09/rdf-meets-nosql/

Very interesting, thanks. OTOH I'm learning less and less new information as I read along in this area. We're approaching the state-of-the-art here (sad to say).

> One point made is that SPARQL doesn't express the full range of queries you can do in a graph db. Has it been a good match for the kind of queries we do in Higgins?

We don't use SPARQL at all. Higgins has a Java EAV (entity attribute value) graph model interface called IdAS (a so-called "node-centric API (as opposed to a triple-centric API) in RDF-speak"). IdAS can currently only be exposed on the net using XDI (and thereby updated/edited).

Higgins would have to adapt a SPARQL engine to sit on top of the IdAS API. Some engines use a standard SAIL API to access the graph data, so I thought we could build a SAIL to IdAS adapter, but I've studied SAIL and there's too much of a mismatch.

One more thing, SPARQL 1.1 will be out soon and it will support read/write operations. Until then it is useless in its 100% standardized form.