Re: [higgins-dev] Sub-contexts

Ideally we wouldn't. The problem is implementation.

The RDF named graph theory makes a distinction between the main "default" graph and named, child sub-graphs. And the implementations e.g. NG4Java take this simple one-level hierarchy approach.

So if we do decide to allow arbitrary nesting in the Context Data Model (as represented by the IdAS interfaces) we'd still have to deal with the fact that context providers (like the NG4Jena one) couldn't implement it. Which is doable--we'd just insist that CPs declare what level of support they have for this stuff. For example:

* support for n-levels of sub-Contexts
* support for one-level of sub-Context (e.g. the NG4Java CP)
* no support for sub-Contexts

I think we should consider support for sub-contexts to be something that CPs can optionally support. So I think we need some kind of API to ask a CP what its "level" of sub-context support is. [I can't remember if we have any method in IdAS along these lines already--indicating what "optional" features of IdAS interfaces are or are not supported by any given CP implementation. Sergey?]