[higgins-dev] Normalize Authn Service 1.1 to WRAP?

Today I saw the WRAP protocol [1] presented at IIW. WRAP is a proposed new version of OAuth that separates the authentication service from the protected resource. If you take a look at WRAP’s “username-password” profile, it looks incredibly similar to our Auth Service 1.1. It even contemplates that the client would have been provisioned with a unique identifier (eg ‘serialized selector’), but doesn’t get into the details of how this would happen, since the protect resource doesn’t need to know anything about that.

One difference I see is that in Higgins Authn Svc 1.1, the Access Token (AT) is exchanged for a Session Token at the protected resource, while in WRAP, the AT is sent with every request, and the protected resource just responds. There is no session – it is stateless. Other than that, it seems virtually identical, just a matter of naming conventions.

Anyway, I was thinking that it might make sense to normalize the Authn Service 1.1 protocol to match a profile of the WRAP protocol, or perhaps suggest tweaks or a new profile to WRAP that fits our needs if the un/pw profile doesn’t quite fit. It would be good to take a broader community approach, rather than a Higgins-only approach.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/WRAP-WG

Back to the top