[higgins-dev] Re: Selector questions

Paul,

Sharing some thoughts on physical device vs. hosted services:

Physical device:
  1. The identity provider creates real world trust by providing cards on a physical device.
  2. There is strong "two factor authentication". Something you have (card/key) and something you know (PIN).
  3. If the device is lost or stolen, the feedback is almost immediate. The security risk can be minimized by quick notification to the IDP that issued the managed card.
  4. Devices cost more than hosted service. However, USB keys are very common and the IDP/user can load the cards to the key he/she already own.
Hosted I-Card service:
  1. Hosted I-Card service is easy to synchronize and backup.
  2. Cost efficient.
  3. Cards are not stored on the selector. Good for shared machines.
  4. The "master" pw is a bit of concern, especially regarding to "leakage" of managed cards stored on the hosted service. Maybe there's a hybrid solution. A possible scenario:
    • The user stores the cards (self issued and managed) on the hosted service.
    • Suppose that the user has at least one managed card (issued by the same IDP that issued one of the cards stored on the hosted service), stored on his/hers personal machine or an external device.
    • This card can be used to login to the I-Card hosted service. In this case the cards are backed up and synchronized regularly, but no un/pw is involved.
    • In this scenario, usage of shared machines still demands an external device.
Tsvika