Re: [ICF.WG.Schemas] Relationship SAML assertion and requested claim was: [higgins-dev] V3 Agenda for Higgins developers call on Thursday, July 16 at Noon EDT

Axel,

In a simple system concatenating the AttrinuteName with the AttributeNamespace to get back to a claim may work reliably

I am not recommending changing p-cards at this point, or necessarily how p-card claims are expressed as SAML attributes.

We have not considered the SAML profile for m-cards to any extent. It seems that IdP are copying the SAML format fro the p-card STS and that may not be the best thing for interoperability.

My main concern are the new claims that we are creating for m-cards.

Once we have more complicated RPs that want to process the SAML token as a SAML token and pass it between systems, say gatewaying information cards through SiteMinder or openSSO this becomes a problem.

I think we do need a single method to represent claims in SAML. I am sort of surprised this hasn't been dealt with in the past.

I am told that many existing SAML systems won't validate our tokens because of the way we are encoding attributes.

Shibboleth got around the problem early on by defining there own namespace for attributes that defined the attribute name as a URI.

The approach others are taking is to use the SAML 2.0 constraint as the namespace. Shibboleth and others recognize this.

Making the attribute name a URI and the namespace the SAML 2.0 constraint makes life easier for RP that takes both SAML 1 and 2 tokens.

If we keep going as we are each m-card claim will be in its own namespace. That will be difficult for many of the large RPs to deal with.

Some will say come back to us after you have SAML 2.0 tokens sorted out that way we won't have to deal with this.

We can profile SAML 1.1 and say we are going to encode all claims as the personal STS is doing for m-cards and SAML 1.1 tokens, That is better than saying nothing and creating inter-op problems when someone try's a different namespace encoding.

It is when we start interacting with systems that get SAML tokens from multiple sources this may bight us in the ass.
I just don't want it surprising us.

If someone knows some other way to address this I am interested.

John B.