Von: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Markus Sabadello
Gesendet: Montag, 6. Juli 2009 20:15
An: Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions
Betreff: Re: [higgins-dev] Newbie question: Higgins Ontology (HOWL XML File) to Java Model Classes (EntityModel,AttributeModel) Mapping. How does it work?

Hello Berend,

I am not sure exactly what you mean with "Higgins ontology XML file". There are three things to be distinguished here:

1. The cdm.owl file in the org.eclipse.higgins.ontology project.
This is what we call the Higgins "Context Data Model". You can read about it here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Context_Data_Model
It defines the very basic foundations (Contexts, Entities, Attributes) of our data model. The cdm.owl file is meant only for documenting purposes. It is basically an RDF/OWL file describing the same concepts as the above wiki page, but this file is never used programmatically.

2. The higgins.owl file in the org.eclipse.higgins.ontology project.
This file is based on the above "Context Data Model". This is an "upper ontology" which is meant to serve as a basis for concrete domain ontologies (see next point). It describes some more advanced features which we actually use programmatically in IdAS. For example, it describes an access control mechanism, and how to make statements about attributes (e.g. lastModified, creator, ...)

3. A concrete domain ontology (aka as the schema of a Context Provider).
Maybe this is what you referring to. This defines the concrete classes of Entities and Attributes in a Context Provider, like employee, supplier, e-mail address, friend, etc. IdAS itself doesn't define these things, it's up to the individual Context Providers to do this (well, you probably know this already). Anyway, the point is that therefore Context Providers also have their own code for implementing the IdAS Model API and returning "models" for their Entities and Attributes. Some CPs can be very restricted (e.g. allowing only a few predefined Entity and Attribute classes), whereas others can be very open (allowing pretty much anything).

If you create your own Context Provider, I would say that it is good practice - but not required - to write down its domain ontology in an RDF/OWL file, potentially using some parts of higgins.owl.

Maybe you have already created such a domain ontology, and now you want to automatically create Model classes based on it. Is this what you are asking?

Conceptually I guess this would make sense. I don't think we have code for automatically "converting" a domain ontology (expressed in RDF/OWL) to a set of Java classes that can be used for the IdAS Model API. BUT: We have one Context Provider (the Jena one) which internally stores its data as RDF. It properly supports the IdAS Model API. This means that the code in the Jena Context Provider could come very close to what you are looking for. For example, if you call getAttributeModels() on an Entity from the Jena CP, it will take a look at its own ontology and return IdAS Model objects for the RDF Properties it finds.

If this sounds promising, have a look at the Java package org.eclipse.higgins.idas.model.impl in the org.eclipse.higgins.cp.jena2 project.

Hope that helps a bit, let us know if you still have questions..

Markus

P.S. The only reason why the XMLFile Context Provider doesn't support the IdAS Model API is that nobody has written it; conceptually it could support it.