[higgins-dev] Notes from Higgins Developers Call on Thursday, June 25

Higgins dev call – June 25, 2009

Attendees

* Tom Carroll - Azigo

* Hank Mauldin - Cisco

* Mary Ruddy - Meristic

* Markus Sabedello – Harvard Law Lab

* Brian Walker - Azigo

* Alexander Yuhimenko - Azigo

Logistics

Time: Thursday, noon Eastern
Dial-in: 1-866-362-7064 / 89-2048#

Agenda

  • [Mary] For the first time in recent memory, another Eclipse project was still talking (about achieving its Galileo release) when it was time to start the Higgins call on the Eclipse call bridge.  My apologies for any confusion.

1. [Brian]  1.1M7 targeted for July 24

  • M7 status
  • Discuss the two different approaches to authentication used on the I-Card Service Web App vs. the CardSynch Web App endpoints. Alexander is updating some documentation for this.
  • See [1]
  • [Brian]  First topic is the M7 status.  I updated the Wiki page.  Moved the target end date to the third week in July.  Expect to have the target download page draft middle of next week. We also have an engineer working on each of the builds.  For the GTK selector, Windows version, have built a connector for it, etc.  Most of that work has been completed.  Still working on porting HSS to OSX and Linux.  The long lead item is getting some of the Selector builds populated into the solutions download page when it is done.
  • [Brian] Alexander has documented some of the work on two different approaches to authentication used on the I-Card Service Web App vs. the CardSynch Web App endpoints. He sent out a link this morning [2].
  • [Alex] Alexander provided a summary of the two authentication methods supported that he has documented on the wiki [2].
  • [Brian] Want to get feedback on this from the dev list.  Please review Alexander’s link and provide comments.

2. [Markus]  iPhone I-Card Selector

  • The iPhone I-Card Selector has been improved to support a new selector invocation mechanism. This new version works on any iPhone / iPod touch and will be able to be simply installed from the App Store. The application itself can be launched either from the iPhone main screen (if a user wants to see / manage their cards), or from the MobileSafari browser (if a website requests a card).
  • The wiki page has been updated accordingly: [3]
  • [Markus] I created a new version of the selector. I submitted it to the official app store process. It should be in the app store in 1 or 2 weeks. The new version is quite different from  the previous one.  The previous one required a browser plug-in (which required jail break).  The new version will be very easy to install. You just down load it from the app store like any app. This Selector doesn’t use the traditional selector invocation method. The new version uses an HTML link rather than an object tag.  It should be easy to map the object tag to the HTML link in the RP.
  • [Mary] So you are saying that you need to modify the RP?
  • [Markus] Yes. The RP needs to support this special invocation method. However, the piece of the RP where it receives the token is the same. That does not need to be changed. Just need to make a slight tweak to the way the iPhone selector is invoked.  The RP needs to contain one of these special links. I updated the wiki page.  It documents this new method for invoking the Selector and has some screen shots.
  • [Mary] Great.  Let us know when it is officially in the app store so that we can  publicize this accomplishment.
  • [Markus] Yes, I will send a notice to the list
  • [Mary] And I will echo it on the Higgins-announce list.
  • [Markus] There are two demo RPs that support this Selector, so you can try it and see how it works.
  • [Mary] Cool.
  • [Markus] There is one application that you can download. It works as a Selector and it also works as an i-card manager. So you can see the values on your cards, just like the traditional card manager. It can operate in two modes.
  • [Mary] And this is also on the wiki now?
  • [Markus] Yes.
  • [Brian] Paul was showing it yesterday.  It is pretty cool.
  • [Mary] What will it be called in the app store?
  • [Markus] I-Card Selector.
  • [Mary] This is wonderful work. It is really appreciated.

3. [Mary]  Updated Team Page [4]

  • [Mary] – There have been a lot of organizational changes to the Higgins team in the last few months. We’ve updated the team page in the staging area [4] to reflect the changes.  If anyone has any changes they want made to their affiliation, let me know.  Then we will publish it.
  • [Mary] Any other topics for today?
  • [Mary] Thank you all.  See you next time.

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_1.1M7

[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Authentication_Icard_Server_WebApp_vs_CardSynch_Web_App
[3] http://wiki.eclipse.org/IPhone_Selector_1.1

[4] http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/ver2/team-leaders.php