From: Christopher Taylor [mailto:christopher.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: martedì 12 maggio 2009 16.34
To: leonardo.straniero@xxxxxxxxxxxx; Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions
Subject: Re: [higgins-dev] How specify the authentication method in the Relying Party Security Policy

Leonardo Straniero schrieb:
> Hi Chris,
> thanks for the explanation and prompt reply.
> Could you please clarify me how can I manage a situation such the following one.
> Suppose that the RP needs to dynamically change the type of authentication a user has to do (e.g. from username/PWD or X509certificate to X509 certificate only) against the IdP.

like I said, that's not really possible. The RP trusts that the
identities it recieves from the IdP are authentic. The steps the IdP
undertakes to ensure this (i.e. what kind of authentication it uses) are
- from the viewpoint of the RP - out of scope.
> My idea was to simply have different RP policies one for "weak authentication" and another one for the strong case. These policies, in my humble opinion, just had to have a statement whose value is different like the ones I exemplified in my previous posting.
> So I was figuring to be able to restrict access to the RP in certain situation to only users having X509 certificates cards.
> You said the RP has no way to do this, right? Or can  I add some "required claims" in the RP "strong authentication" policy that makes possible to force the IdP (or CardSpace) to only accepts users with X509 certificate cards?

There's a couple of ways you could do this:
- you could have the policy specify an STS of which you *know* that it
uses X.509 for authentication.
- you could require some custom claim in the policy, e.g.
  * http://example.org/auth/#x509
  * http://example.org/auth/#unpw
  however, the RP has no way to check that the user did indeed use this
authentication method, so I think it would make more sense to a
domain-specific claim like
http://example.org/user-can-access-restricted-site. The IdP can then be
configured to only issue cards containing this claim to users that can
use X.509 to authenticate themselves.

Of course the second solution might be difficult, if the STS is
controlled by some other company :). Like I said, the concept is that
the RP trusts the IdP to do whatever it takes to authenticate the user.
If the RP doesn't do that, it shouldn't accept identities issued by that
IdP.

hth,
  --Chris