Re: [higgins-dev] How specify the authentication method in the Relying Party Security Policy

Leonardo,

AFAIK you can't specify the authentication method as part of the RP policy. The reasoning behind this is that the RP has a trust relationship with the STS and trusts the method that the STS uses to be "good enough". This also makes sense because the RP would have no way to check if the STS actually used a specific method or just claims it did.

Of course the STS could support a set of (non-standard) claims that assert that a certain method was used, which the RP could then require in its policy.

hth,
 --Chris

Leonardo Straniero schrieb:

Hi All,

I am trying to understand how to specify in the Relying Party Security Policy the authentication method (e.g. username/pwd, X509 certificate, …) a user has to use to authenticate to the IP/STS when requesting security tokens.

I think it is necessary to insert another parameter into the RP’s *web.xml* file.

I saw in a security policy example a field “*Issuer*” as follows:

*  <param-name>Issuer</param-name>*

*  <param-value>shib2.internet2.edu</param-value>*

I know the Higgins STS provides some endpoints:

* *

*…./services/MetadataX509Token* (X509 Authentication)

*…/services/MetadataUsernameToken *(UsernamePassword Authentication)

and so on.

Is it possible to insert another parameter (for example a MetadataReference parameter that identifies the STST endpoint to be used) to specify the authentication method? Do you know if, adding a parameter like this, CardSpace will properly manage it and select only the cards that meet the required authentication method?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

* *