Re: [higgins-dev] IDS Page

Title: Re: [higgins-dev] IDS Page
This IDS term is very new, and a work in progress...

IDS (Identity Data Service) is a name for a set of web services bindings over the IdAS Java Interfaces. The IDS name was chosen to make a distinction between a true web service (IDS) and IdAS which despite having “Service” in its name, isn’t a web service.

We created this new umbrella term, IDS, so that we could talk about a set of services each using its own protocol. We have in Higgins, for example, created a prototype “XDI Engine” that lives under this umbrella. Sitting alongside the high-abstraction XDI protocol, we envision more purpose-built low-abstraction protocol bindings for IdAS such as Portable Contacts. Novell’s non-Higgins OTIS work is an illustrative example of a RESTful web service binding for IdAS. Over time we envision a number of these. We hope that low-abstraction web services (e.g. PoCo) will make Higgins IDS much more accessible and familiar to at least the web 2.0 crowd.

So that’s our intent.

As you point out, we need to fill in the content on the blank page. The XDI Engine work can be a starting point that we can reference from this blank page. [The XDI engine isn’t quite finished. My understanding, for example, is that authentication aspects are not complete. But it is a place to start.]

Does this make sense to folks? (esp. Markus)?

--Paul