[higgins-dev] Open Source Researcher looking for survey input on open source motivations

There is a PhD student in Boston doing research on what motivates fee and open source communities.  If you have a few minutes it would be great if you could provide your perspective.

--Mary

Posted by: "Felicia Sullivan" felicia@xxxxxxxxxxx

Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:35 am (PDT)

Perhaps some of you can help spread the word:

For wide distribution

I'm a PhD student in public policy at UMass Boston doing research on what motivates members of free and open source software communities.

I'm looking at ways that public policy could increase the quantity and quality of contributions to free software and open source software (defined as projects with an approved open source license - http://opensource.org/).

I have a professor that says if I can provide some convincing data on how to best support free and open source software, he thinks he can get the ideas on President Obama's desk. I am conducting a survey - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=SA1BorCQ_2b9E6NSE_2bNCKavw_3d_3d and I need over 500 responses by May 1st in order to answer my key research questions.

One lucky respondent will have $100 donated to the FOSS project of their choice.

Questions about this survey can be directed to me at felicia.sullivan@xxxxxxx. Thanks for your input.

Acknowledgement

I want to thank my FOSS developer go-to-guys -- Dan MacNeil, Peter Bull, St?phane Alnet, and Bill de la Vega -- for providing critical feedback on this survey.
--
_______________

| Technology and training to advance and sustain social change |

Felicia M. Sullivan
Organizers� Collaborative
felicia@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://organizerscollaborative.org