From: Antoine Fressancourt <af.devlist@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 06:46:09 -0700
To: higgins-dev <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [higgins-dev] Enhancement proposal for the CardSync protocol

Hello list,

I am a R&D engineer from Atos Worldline, one of the companies involved
in the FC” project in France. We had the opportunity and the chance to
meet with Paul Trevithick and Markus Sabadello in France during a 3
days meeting in April when some details about the Higgins project and
the components architecture were presented to us. During this meeting,
we learnt about the cardsync protocol, which is an XML document
exchange using a RESTful interface.

I have a suggestion to make about this protocol. In the wiki
documentation, the messages exchanged to create, update or destroy a
card in the cardstore. Indeed, I am a bit sceptic about the method
used to update a card. From my understanding, when somebody wants to
update an information on a card, he has to send the whole content of
the file in XML, with the update included. It seems to me that this
procedure could be enhanced by using XCAP.

XCAP stands for XML Configuration Access Protocol. Basically, this
protocol allows a person interested in a particular data in an XML
document to access it directly. The path of the XML node in the
document is mapped to an URI, which can be used to create, update or
destroy the node. As I am sure this explanation is not enough for you,
I can indicate you an excellent XCAP tutorial written by the principal
author of the XCAP RFC.
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/xcap-tutorial.ppt

Currently, this protocol is used in Telecommunication services such as
Presence service or contact list management in order to maintain
contact lists or user profile in a central node called the XML
Document Management Server. As this server has about the same role for
these services as the CardStore in the Higgins architecture.

I make a suggestion here, and I would be pleased to answer your
remarks or questions if you have some.

Best regards,

Antoine Fressancourt