[higgins-dev] Notes from Higgins Developers Call on March 12

Higgins dev call – March 12, 2009

Attendees

* Brian Carroll - Serena

* Drummond Reed - Cordance

* Mary Ruddy - Meristic

* George Stanchev - Serena

* Brian Walker - Parity

Logistics
Time: noon EDT
Dial-in:
1-866-362-7064 / 892048#

Agenda
1. [Brian] 1.1M6 - targeted for March 13

  • See  [1]
  • [Brian] Getting close.  Have one major check in. Mohamad from Oracle has been working on the IdAS Google CP. He hopes to have this done this weekend. So we are going to bump the date out a few days to Tuesday, March 17.  That is the current status on M6. For M7, have the date of April 24.  Will hold that date for the time being. We have a pre-existing target list that we will carry over.  I will work with those folks who have candidate items.

2. [Brian, Alexander, Andy] Selector Architecture Harmonization

  • See [2]
  • [Mary] There has been a big push on the selector Harmonization work in preparation for a meeting this week with the French consortium FC2.
  • [Brian] There was a lot of work over the last week to get that demo package ready. Thanks to Andy, Alexander, Jeesmon and Markus. That is going well. Created a download image for FC2 developers to work with. Put that together and shipped that over to them yesterday. Markus is there with Paul today. The package includes an image of the new backend with the RESTful interface to the DigitalME selector. As a reference point, loaded the Azigo ICM as well. So Developers can see updates to the card manager and see in them in the selector and vice version. Once we go through that and get feedback we will regroup to see what needs to be done next.

3. [Mary, Tie, Jochen] Current status of RCP Selector use for EclipseCON demo

  • [Mary] The next event we are preparing for is EclipseCON, which is just 10 days from now.  A group in Germany is working on an RCP Selector demo.  Many thanks to Tie for offering to provide the RCP Selector package. Any help that anyone provides to Jochen and his team is greatly appreciated, as time is short.

4. [Mary re Markus] Should IdAS authentication materials be just a Java Object?

  • Markus is working on a proposal: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Authentication_Materials
  • Plan to discuss on call next week.
  • [Mary]  Markus has been working on a proposal at the above link. It is not finished as he is working with FC2 this week, but wanted to make it available so that people could think about it and provide feedback in preparation for a discussion next week.
  • [George] We ran into a situation where we wanted to have the authentication mechanism separate from where you open the context provider.  Our use case  has a trusted deligator that opens the store in the background.  I did some work in the background, created some more complex authentication in the background.  Maybe there is another way I’m missing to do it.  Or maybe it is good to have the authentication separate from the open.
  • [Mary] That is very timely use case.  Can to provide details to the dev list?
  • [George] I will.
  • [Mary] Thank you.

5. [Mary] Higgins home page

  • Propose to rename the middle column from  “identity web services” , which is incorrect, to the more  general “identity services” .
  • In preparation for a presentation to FC2, Paul has updated the Higgins overview ppt available on the home page [1].  It is  now organized by the same three categories as the home page, and has more complete information on selectors, etc.
  • [Mary] As we continue to refine our home page, we’d like to change the middle column from “identity web services” which is incorrect as some of the services are web services and some are not, to the simpler “identity services”.  Does anyone have any objections?
  • [Drummond} can you repeat that?
  • [Mary]  (repeats)
  • [Drummond] I’m totally on board.
  • [Brian] Yes.
  • [Mary] As part of preparing to present to FC2, Paul updated the PowerPoint presentation that is available from a link on the home page.
  • [Mary] Keeping this updated is a major ongoing task. It is now consistent with the home page, and has more information about the selectors.
  • [Drummond] It is a big ppt.
  • [Mary] Yes, it is 4MB, you probably don’t want to read it now.
  • [Drummond] I’m navigating to the home page.  It can be reached by  www.higgins-project.org [which resolves to www.eclispe.org/higgins]
  • [Drummond] It is easier to just type higginsproject as a URL. It is even easer than Higgins-project. We should also get higginsproject.com and higginsproject.org.
  • [Mary] I have one more topic.  I want to congratulate George Stanchev on his new committer status. This is his first dev call as a committer.
  • [All] Congratulations!
  • [George] Thank you all.
  • [Mary] Are there any other topics for today?
  • [George] I have a question.  Missed a couple of calls. Where do we stand on SOAP and WS-Trust 1.3?
  • [Brian] That is currently in a work in progress state.  He is very is very close to getting it completed and checked in, but had pressures from other deliverables.  Believe it is very close and I will be checking with him again as part of preparations for upcoming M7.
  • [George] Understood.
  • [Brian] It helps to know that other people are interested in getting this finished.
  • [George] A year ago, there used to be more people on the dev call. Is there a reason why? There used to be people from IBM and Novell.
  • [Mary] Last week, when the agenda included several design discussions, IBM and Novell were on the call. This week we just had status updates.
  • [Mary] Are there any more topics?
  • Silence
  • [Mary] Thanks everyone. See you next week.

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_1.1M6
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Selector_Architecture_Harmonization
[3] http://code.bandit-project.org/trac/wiki/OTIS/Doc/Task/Authenticate/AuthenticateUser

[4] https://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/technology/org.eclipse.higgins/trunk/doc/org.eclipse.higgins.doc/Higgins-Overview-2009.pdf