[higgins-dev] authn materials types and serialization

Hi,

Today, authn materials for IContext.open() are just a java.lang.Object. For some applications it would be useful to be able to do the following:
- Specify a type of authn materials
- (De-)serialize a concrete instance of authn materials (e.g. to/from XML, String, etc.)

Applications where this would be useful are:
- "Remote IdAS" applications such as OTIS REST and IdAS XDI Engine
- UDI Resolution.. Given a Context/Entity/Attribute UDI you want a generic way to find out what you need to authenticate to the IContext.
- R-Cards

So I was wondering.. Is there any special reason why authn materials are just an Object?

Would it make sense to
1. Define an identifier for every common type of authn materials
2. Have an IAuthnMaterials interface that defines method for (de-)serializing authn materials?

I can see that OTIS REST has solved both problems by simply inventing its own authn material identifiers and serialization structures.
http://code.bandit-project.org/trac/wiki/OTIS/Doc/Task/Authenticate/AuthenticateUser

Markus

Back to the top