Re: [higgins-dev] RE Discussion of JAX-RS

Mary -

Thanks for this update - it's good to know that the JSR311 project (at https://jsr311.dev.java.net/) was approved. That particular project is under CDDL only, though, and only implemented the API entry-points that are specified in the JCP JSR311 (JAX-RS) documents. AFAIK, you also need an implementation of some of those API calls, and this is where Jersey (https://jersey.dev.java.net/) comes in. THAT project is licensed under CDDL+GPL2, and beyond Grizzly (for stand-alone deployments) it only requires ASM 3.1, as far as I know. If you want to use the WADL functionality in Jersey (cute, but not really require IMO), you will also need JAXB, StAX, and activation.

The current version of JCP JSR 311 (JAX-RS) is 1.0. The current Jersey version is 1.0.1, implementing the final version of the JSR.

Best,

Gerald

PS: Just as a disclaimer - I have been affected by the Sun workforce reduction on Jan 22, and - as such - I am no longer speaking or acting for Sun as a company.

Mary Ruddy wrote:
The JAX-RS (JRS311) api.jar Version: 0.4 was previously approved for use by another Eclipse project, so unless the project has become lax in their internal IPR processes since that approval, there shouldn't be any theoretical barriers to getting JAX-RS approved.  JRS311 is now at version 1.1.  Would it be possible to use 0.4 to get started? (This may or may not be possible/desirable depending on the dependencies Higgins needs, etc.)

How close are we to knowing what dependencies we need?

-Mary

  • Discuss using Jersey [2] JAX-RS implementation, especially getting started on the IPR request.
  • Jersey is under CDDL+GPL dual license [3]
  • Points discussed in this section include:
    • Now possible to use JAX-RS with Java5. Need to check if (a) there are Eclipse license issues and (b) what are the dependencies of Jersey and can we get those IPR request for that.