Re: [higgins-dev] higgins configuration questions

There is an "include" handler in configuration.xml project. This creates a new ConfigurationHandler, which processes the specified file. This included file must also be a complete configuration file, with SettingHandlers, etc. There's nothing that allows a simple "list of settings" file which would be processed in the context of the current file.

No support for system properties, though I believe that would be fairly trivial to add.

Not sure about application-level properties. If there's a standard way to resolve those variables that you mention, I also think this would be a fairly simple extension to the system properties hander.

Masking of passwords could also be simple, depending on the desired scheme. You could just specialize the PrivateKeyHandler or KeyStoreHandler classes to call the appropriate decryption/callback methods. The callback method would probably be a little easier to start with, because the current configuration files are mostly written by hand.

...Greg

eorge Stanchev wrote:
Hi,
Does the Higgins confiuration framework support any of the following functionalities (see below). The reason I am asking is that I am looking at migrating the ALF SSO configuration framework into the higgins framework and I am wondering if those are supported in any way or we need to contribute them (since the ALF SSO Configuration framework supports them) and may
be generate discussion around these:
* Include files. Can I write something like (syntax is all made up by me) <Setting Name="MyIncludedSettings" Type="htf:includeSettings">my-settings.xml</Setting> and that file to be automatically loaded by the config framework and added to the list of current settings?
 * Support for referencing system properties:
<Setting Name="MyKeystoreLocation" Type="xsd:string">${jboss.server.home.dir}/conf/serena.keystore</Setting> * Support for application-level properties. I am pretty sure this is only in our stuff, but in certain situation we need to set some configuration properties like the system properties above but on application level. So some variables are available in the config files. For example ${APPROOT} which points to the application root directory as supplied by the servlet. For this purpose, the configuration framework provides an API to register those which are then available upon
   resolution.
<Setting Name="MyDepLib" Type="xsd:string">${APPROOT}/gk-libs/mylib.jar</Setting> * Some support for encrypting passwords and sensitive information as defined in configuration files. Some of our clients are goverment agencies which apparently have strict rules for sensitive information in configuration files.
    We support 2 ways of protecting against thies
- password callback - on a password property (our equivalent of Setting) we can define a callback to be called to resolve the password. The property is identified by "id" attribute so the callback can do proper resolution - System/Application properties properties which obviously is not that great mechanism but at least passwords are not hardoced We're exploring adding support for org.jboss.resource.security.SecureIdentityLoginModule as additional mean for central password
    management.
George

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.