[higgins-dev] Notes from November 20th Higgins developers call

Attendees

  • Brian Carroll - Serena
  • Andy Hodgkinson - Novell
  • Dale Olds - Novell
  • Drummond Reed - Cordance
  • Mary Ruddy - Meristic/SocialPhysics
  • Jim Sermersheim - Novell
  • George Stanchev - Serena
  • Paul Trevithick - Parity/SocialPhysics
  • Brian Walker - Parity
  • Hank Mauldin - Cisco

Time: noon EST
Dial-in:
1-866-362-7064 / 892048#

Agenda

1. [BrianW] We are still working on 1.1M4

  • Build is expected shortly.
  • See http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_1.1M4
  • [BrianW] Down to the last piece.  As soon as get the JNDI CP built, will close and will be done.  Valery is to make this a priority.
  • [BrianW] Need to start planning for M5 as well.  Will start working on that as well and keep people posted on that.

2. [Paul, Mary, Dale] Highlights from recent and events and press releases.

  • IIW, Gartner, Equifax, etc.
  • [Mary] We had a good IIW and there were demonstrations of Higgins functionality, and browser plug-in discussions which Paul will talk about later in the call.  There was also a working session on the Higgins White Paper where Hank got some good feedback on the outline from the F2F.  During the White Paper discussion, I also got some feedback on the new home page prototype, which I will talk about below.
  • [Mary] Dale was one of the speakers in a session on user-centric identity.  And it was a Keynote! It was great to see Gartner have a key note session on identity frameworks.
  • [Paul]  Equifax announced what they are calling the first commercial information card.  Parity developed it using a service called CardPress, which is built using Higgins.  It is exciting to see all the reverberations from the announcement.

3.  [Paul channeling Markus] New SAML2 - information card capability

·         As demoed at IIW by Google

·         Markus extended the SAML2 IdP to authenticate users with a card instead of against an IdAS context.

·         Markus will send a message to the Higgins list later and describe how people can try the demo themselves.

4. [Paul channeling Markus] iPhone prototype

·         [Paul] The iPhone prototype was also demoed.

·         [Paul] Not sure if the code is checked in, but that is the plan.  Markus created this website to answer questions about it.  We came up with the idea at IIW to create a petition.  If you integrate with mobile safari , it violates the rules, so to implement the iPhone prototype you need to violate the warranty  of your iPhone. When this is fixed, the prototype becomes interesting.

·         [Paul]  Someone told me a rumor that you had DigitalMe running on an iPhone.

·         [Andy] We came up with an iPhone specific UI and cross compiled the code for the iPhone.  We encountered some of the same problems – integrating with mobile safari is next to impossible.  One of the directions, since WebKit is part of the Apple SDK we thought about creating an application that embedded a simple browser based on WebKit that allowed the selector to be launched from the WebKit browser so have similar experience to desktop.  We didn’t take it that far.

·         [Paul] Hopefully we can collaborate on that.  The iPhone creates a lot of excitement.

·         [Dale] Nokia picked up the DigitalMe code.  Did we hear any thing about it?

·         [Andy] Nokia was to prototype a selector on one of their platforms.  Positive response.  Haven’t heard recently. Seem to be operating in stealth mode. Haven’t reached out.

·         [Dale] it would be nice to bring these phone initiatives together and have this be the place.

·         [Paul] Axel, at DT, has also been working on a phone. More later. And the Google Android platform, which IBM was working on, is another one that might be less restrictive.

5. [Mary] Website home page progress update

·         [Mary] During the IIW session on the Higgins White Paper I discussed the new home page prototype.  The feedback on the revised homepage, with three “doors”: selectors, web services and IdAS was very positive.  I also showed the revised illustrations for the two new doors.  Based on feedback, we are getting new pictures drawn.

6. [Paul] Java 1.4.2 and JavaME (vs. 5.0)

·        [Paul] Mike Milinkovich told us IBM has products that are based on Java ME  VM to keep the footprint down.  Wanted to throw that into the mix in case there are others who want to keep the client side size down with a smaller VM. Not sure is it a compelling enough reason to stick with 1.4.2

7. [Paul or Axel] I-Cards allowing image to be a link

  • [Paul] If we remove the card background image from the .crd XML and replace with a link, we reduce the size of the card dramatically.
  • [Paul]]Axel pointed out cards are a fairly large file.  Most of the size is in the image.  In some phone platforms the place you would want to store cards is really small. He pointed out if you remove the image and replace with a link, you save a lot .
  • [Drummond] That makes a whole lot of sense to me
  • [Paul]  That might create security holes. Wanted to know if anyone else had thought about it.
  • [Andy] I like that idea. Then have to pay the price of going over the network to pull the image down. Would be nice to cache the image elsewhere in a non secure area.
  • [?] If not in the secure area, image could be used to phish.
  • [Andy] Could have a hash or signature to verify when pull image across.
  • [Paul] Yes, a hash.
  • [Axel] Phones in Germany have only ~25 K of highly secured storage.

8. [Paul and/or Axel, JohnB, Drummond] IIW Session on Unified I-Card+OpenID browser extensions

  • Collaboration with XRI TC on XRDS elements for RP “Auth Discovery”
  • Collaboration with Google IDIB effort, Vidoop, etc.
  • Collaboration on development of reference browser implementations for FF, IE, Safari, Chrome —code in Higgins
  • Collaboration with Shib folks (Bob Morgan, Steve Carmody)
  • See http://www.incontextblog.com/?p=90

·         [Paul] There was a session at IIW, what if we could leverage towards only one extension.  It was a surprisingly productive session.

·         [Paul] The finish line is that the extension ships with the browser.

·         [Paul] Previous step is a reference implementation.  So question is what should the plug-in be, a plug-in for OpenID with seatbelt and another for info cards.

·         [Paul] OpenID folks have been looking at doing OpenID auth support.  Axel has if object tag not embedded in…  both those threads in the room.  What if we collaborate on development of XRDS schema for holding this stuff?   There were also Shib  SAML folks, and they also want to collaborate on this.  Bob Morgan has joined the TC.  So there is a lot of energy for defining XRDS for cross protocol discovery.

·         [Drummond] What is happening at the XRI TC is there is intense interest in the next version of the spec. More people wanted to join the TC, referring to this as XRD.  The good news is it is getting simpler. Using an XRD for discovery.

·         [Paul] Is there where agree on XML description for auth discovery? TC seems like a good place to do the work.

·         [Hank] Like the idea that it could also discover that the RP had user name and password even. Hopefully the working group would allow that.

·         [Paul] Password should be one of the things. So OpenID, i-cards, SAML and passwords

·         [Paul] Offered that Higgins is a good place to do the development to keep IP and provenance clean. Didn’t seem to be any objections.

·         [Paul] Mary, I know we are just finalizing the home page design.  It may be that there are benefits from there being a fourth door on the home page. There may be benefit from having a separate area that isn’t the selector.

·         [Andy] I agree with that. That it is different enough to be separate.

·         [Paul] It is closely related to selectors, but collaborating on 4 plug-ins – it would benefit from being separate forth vertical.

·         [Drummond] I agree initially, but from outside, people will see as a super selector.  Want to raise that over time. People will want to stick it with a client.  Maybe area should be client with two sub area: one card selector and another browser integration.

·         [Paul] That is the other way to go. My concern is adding a level of structure, rather than a flatter structure

·         [Drummond] Higgins is where work on OS identity clients happens. It seems like a powerful positive piece happens. There was a lot of great buzz about this session that Paul was leading.  I think it can attract more people to the project.

·         [Paul] So you propose that the left mouse is identity client, under that three branches:  browser extension, selector selector and specific selectors and that would really help us position and get the word out.

·         [Paul] Anyone disagree with what Andy and Drummond propose?

·         [Hank] I like not creating a fourth column. Need to be realistic about how flat you can make something. This proposal seems reasonable.

·         [Drummond] Thinking from the stand point of the white paper and position.  It beefs up our story.

·         [Paul] Hank do you want to talk about that?

·         [Hank] There was some good input.  I went over the outline and we got strong feedback on some of the order and a little less of the history.  So we will have to weight that.  So I got good feedback and Mary got good feedback on the web.  Hopefully next week will have time to get to work on this.

9. [Mary] Review Action Items from
Higgins F2F

  • [Mary] The action items are on the wiki page [above].  There are a couple that we haven’t talked about  in this call.
  • [BrianC] We are in the process of closing down the ALF process. Had the review last week. Have been working with George to get things in shape for archive, and have also been working on packing how to contribute this to Higgins. There has been a good deal of work done to vet the IP of ALF code. There are 80+ CQs.  Recommendation is that we package it and contribute it as a bugzilla submission to establish the provenance of the code. All of the code was developed with the Eclipse CVS under project ALF, which was in incubation where rules are a little looser.  So we are getting ready to make that submission so need to work on who will commit the code.
  • [Paul] I’ve been assuming that we should start the process on having you and George proceed to becoming a committer.
  • [Mary] Even if we start this process now, BrianC and George won’t be Higgins committers until after they make the code available.
  • [BrianC] Looking for volunteer to review the code and put their name behind it
  •  Silence.
  • [Mary] There is one more item on the action list we haven’t discussed.
  • [Paul] [As part of improving the download and installation experience] We talked about volunteering Novell’s virtual tech and VM capabilities to make it easy for people to download images.
  • Silence

10. [Paul]
Higgins Selector Roadmap

  • Experimental work on merged DigitalMe/AIR code base
  • Change DigitalMe card store to be a cache synchronized with Higgins Identity Server (new name for I-Card Service (aka RPPS))
  • [Paul] At the F2F, talked about merging the AIR and DigitalMe code bases and taking the best of both. One baby step we could take is to have DigitalMe card store be used as a local cache to Higgins card store in the cloud.  Don’t now if that makes sense to you Andy. This would give roaming benefits to DigitalMe code.
  • [Andy] That does make sense.  Sounds like Adobe may make commitment to port the AIR processor for iPhone. Is that another avenue to get a selector on the iPhone?
  • [Paul] Yah. If it all pans out, there is an opportunity to reduce code steams in Higgins. Maybe could look at AIR to use its presentation layer for DigitalMe. We could end up with a single architecture and use different presentation layers and reduce duplication of underlying layers.  A lot of the Parity guys would collaborate with Novell guys.
  • [BrianW] Yes, on the Parity side, we would be very interested.
  • [Paul] If IBM were on the call, would ask them what their future plans are for the RCP selector.  This hedges our bets on the AIR platform. It is not without its downsides as well.
  • [Paul] The fact that Andy could compile all its DigitalMe code and run it on the iPhone was a real head turner.
  • [Paul] There are weaker phone platforms that maybe couldn’t run all of  DigitalMe, but in the short term will be focusing on the smarter phones.
  • [Paul] In an ideal world, Higgins 1.1 might have just one selector with various options for different presentation/platform combinations.
  • [Andy] Do we have doc on RPPS?
  • [Paul]  It is all SOAP based, which we might want to re-evaluate. But there isn’t a place to see the SSDL file. Let me work with Brian to try and answer that.
  • [BrianW] There is some info on the wiki page to look at the SSDL files. We will send that out.
  • [Andy] That is the first thing I need to look at to see what needs to be done.

Back to the top