Re: [higgins-dev] Java 5, going once...

Title: Re: [higgins-dev] Java 5, going once...
Eric,

The Higgins project is fairly conservative WRT Java versions. And by moving to 5.0, I think we remain conservative.

Java 5.0 was released just over four years ago (Sept 2004). WRT Java 5, Sun’s site [1] says:

J2SE 5.0 is in its Java Technology End of Life (EOL) transition period. The EOL transition period began April 8th, 2008 and will complete October 30th, 2009, when J2SE 5.0 will have reached its End of Service Life (EOSL)

We are not proposing moving to the “latest and greatest” Java 6.0 released in 2006. Some developers on the team would like to move from Java 1.4 (released in early 2002, and now beyond its Oct 2008 “End of Service Life” (see [2])) to an “End of Life” Java (5.0).

[I’ll respond to Tony’s “why” question in a separate email]

--Paul

[1] http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp
[2] http://java.sun.com/products/archive/eol.policy.html

On 11/27/08 5:45 PM, "Eric Norman" <ejnorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 27, 2008, at 4:27 PM, Anthony Nadalin wrote:

> Since the current build is on 1.4 so what is the rational to change ?
> I'm not seeing the motivation to change or do we just change things ?

I've made this comment elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here.

If you want something that folks will want to install,
then you need to make sure that it does not require the
"latest and greatest" version of anything.

My suggestion is to do development using a system that is
obsolete by at least three years.

Eric Norman