EntityId decision analysis page (was RE: [higgins-dev] entityID not an attribute?)

I took the action item on the Higgins call today to parse the key questions being raised about EntityId on this thread into a decision analysis page on the Higgins wiki. I have posted this page at:

            http://wiki.eclipse.org/EntityId_Requirements

…and placed a link to it on http://wiki.eclipse.org/Context_Data_Model_1.1_Open_Issues#Open_Issues.

The ideal way to proceed is for folks to post opinions to the page and then ping the list with a pointer. However, for those who prefer responding in email, following is the wikitext version of the page to which you can respond directly.

=Drummond

== About ==

This page is for discussing/documenting the terminology, requirements, and design decisions for [[EntityId]]s.

== Content Data Model Requirements ==

In terms of the underlying graph model, following is a summary of the abstract requirements derived in a recent (2008-09-11) thread on the email list. The first step is determining if there is consensus about these requirements. '''Please post a note with your wiki signature if you disagree with any of the following:'''

# An [[Entity]] is a node in the graph described by the Higgins [[Context Data Model]]. The CDM needs a consistent way of representing arcs referencing that node.

# There MAY be 0..n such arcs referencing the node. (0 is possible for blank nodes.)

# An arc MAY theoretically be represented as either:

## A unique identifier.

## A set of [[Attribute]]s of that [[Entity]], none of which itself is required to be a unique identifier.

# If the arc is represented as a unique identifier:

## It MUST be locally unique within the [[Context]], and it MAY be globally unique across all [[Context]]s).

== Higgins API Requirements ==

The second step, based on the above requirements, is answering the following questions with respect to the Higgins API. '''Please post your votes/answers (with your wiki signature).'''

=== #1: Unique Identifier vs. Attribute Set ===

Should the Higgins API constrain an [[EntityId]] to be a unique identifier, or can it be a set of [[Attribute]]s?

=== #2: Representation of an EntityId as a Unique Identifier ===

If an [[EntityId]] is a unique identifier, should this be represented as:

# A type of [[Attribute]]?

# A separate property of an [[Entity]] that MAY be exposed as an [[Attribute]]?

# Inherent in the definition of an [[Entity]]?

=== #3: Cardinality ===

What is the cardinality of [[EntityId]]? (The answer may depend on the answer to #2.)

# 0..n?

# 0..1?

# 1 (whose value may be null)?