Re: [higgins-dev] entityID not an attribute?

Yea, there seems to be disconnect here with usage of the term 'identifier' (or Id).

        The statement "An Entity has 0..N Attributes some of which may be used as identifiers" tells me that there is more than one identifier, and then the statement "An Entity has 0..1 EntityId" says that there is one identifier (as i think "EntityId" means "Entity Identifier"). This seems to be contradicting statements in some sense, and maybe the cause of disconnect here.

So how about this..
        • An Entity has 0..N Attributes
        • An Entity has 1 UniqueIdentifier within a given context.

Then it makes the calculation of uniqueIdentifier to be relevant to the Entity within a given context; this way, we leave attributes as they are - if we end up using those attributes to identify/search/lookup an entity, then fine but uniqueness is not guaranteed. Wrt those attributes that are used to search/lookup,.. maybe we don't need to designate those attributes to be identifiers in a formal manner in the data model?

So proposal can be
To have an IdAS getUniqueEntityId() method to return a unique identifier within the context of that entity, whereas other getAttribute methods return Attributes/values

another comment - do we really want entities without unique identifiers at all?

Regards,
Raj

Inactive hide details for Anthony Nadalin---09/09/2008 12:40:37 PM---OK, So not sure I agreeAnthony Nadalin---09/09/2008 12:40:37 PM---OK, So not sure I agree

Anthony Nadalin/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

"Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

higgins-dev <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/09/2008 12:40 PM

Re: [higgins-dev] entityID not an attribute?

OK, So not sure I agree

I believe that there are 0..N EntityIDs and the EnitityID job is to encapsulate the referenced attributes, thus there may be multiple EntityIDs.

Inactive hide details for Paul Trevithick ---09/09/2008 10:56:26 AM---Just to make sure we’re all discussing the right proposaPaul Trevithick ---09/09/2008 10:56:26 AM---Just to make sure we’re all discussing the right proposal. Let me back up a bit here and restate it:

Paul Trevithick <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

higgins-dev <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

09/09/2008 10:56 AM

Re: [higgins-dev] entityID not an attribute?

Just to make sure we’re all discussing the right proposal. Let me back up a bit here and restate it:

Background: We remain committed to these two principles:
        • An Entity has 0..1 EntityId (...and we expect almost all Entities will have an EntityId)
        • An Entity has 0..N Attributes some of which may be used as identifiers (that is, these attributes may singly or in combination uniquely identify an Entity within its Context)

The proposal is:
        • To no longer consider the one, optional EntityId as an Attribute.
        • To have an IdAS getEntityId() method to return this EntityId (or return null if it doesn’t exist) whereas other getAttribute methods return Attributes/values
        • NOTE: CP developers remain free to present the EntityId value as the value of some Attribute type that they define and use within their Context

-Paul

On 9/8/08 11:29 PM, "Nataraj Nagaratnam" <