Re: [higgins-dev] Clarification needed wrt naming convention forcontext types

Yes it's an XRI.

$context+ldap means nothing more than "It's an LDAP context". In XRI, $ words are well-defined constants, and + words are tags or concepts or simply words. When reading the XRI from left to right, the meaning gets more specific with every subsegment.

The reasons why it usually doesn't matter if it's an XRI or not are that
1) It doesn't get resolved and
2) The internal structure of the identifier isn't used

Now, the reasons why it still IS an XRI are that
1) In a complex setup involving all kinds of contexts and context providers, it can be smart to use a structured identifier. We had an example on IRC a while ago where we talked about different LDAP CPs by different companies, and we came up with context types $context+ldap, $context+ldap@novell and $context+ldap@ibm. In such situations, a structured identifier makes more sense than calling them A, B and C.
2) If your Context UDI/Context Id is an XRI instead of a local configuration setting, then these context types must match the contents of the <Type> elements of the XRDS the XRI resolves to. And the XRDS <Type>s are usually XRIs.

So we thought, let's just use XRIs for context types in general, even if their "XRIness" isn't used for looking up a matching IContextFactory. Of course, if you want to save 1 byte of disk space, you can also use "ldap_context".

Markus