[higgins-dev] entityID not an attribute?

I had thought we agreed that http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/ontologies/2008/6/higgins#entityID was an attribute found on every entity in a context.  In a recent mail from Paul, he says:

> My latest thinking (reflected in higgins.owl 1.1.106 and the wiki at present) is that we should NOT consider entityID to be "just another attribute". It should be considered something different from an attribute. If you want it, call getEntityID() but you won’t find it in the usual set of attributes.

I'm wondering what the reason for this is.  I know that if we say it's an attribute, it allows IdAS consumers to search for entities by partial entityID in an easy way (like find me all the entities where the entityID begins with "tom", where if we make it a special thing, we need to have a special kind of filter element just for it.  So I just wanted to make sure the reason to not include it among attributes is worth losing the natural search capability.

Jim

Back to the top