[higgins-dev] Notes from the Higgins developers call on Thursday, July 31

Notes from the Higgins Developers call on Thursday, July 31

 Attendees

=========

* Duane Buss - Novell

* Greg Byrd - NCSU/IBM

* Brian Carrol - Serena

* Andy Hodgkinson - Novell

* Ranjan Kumar - IBM

* David Kuehr-Mclaren - IBM

* Mike McIntosh - IBM

*Dale Olds - Novell

*Ernst Plassmann - IBM

Mary Ruddy - Meristic/SocialPhysics

* Markus Sabedello - Parity

* Jim Sermersheim - Novell

Paul Trevithick - Parity/SocialPhysics

* Tom Caroll - Parity

* Hank Mauldin - Cisco

* Attendees

Meeting Notes

Time: noon EDT (1700 London; 1800 Vienna, Paris, Berlin)
Dial-in:
1-866-362-7064 / 892048#

Agenda

1. [Mary] 1.1M3 build

  • [Mary] We had been holding the M3 build for 4 time sensitive bugs, but since they are going to take a while to fix, we are going to go ahead with doing the M3 build this week.
  • [Mary] Previously Brian had offered to do an intermediate build between M3 and M4 if these four items are not done for M3, but are completed early in M4.  We can still do that if that ends up making sense.

2. [Mary] Nightly Auto-Test

  • Next  step was getting Mike's STS to build using headless Buckminster .
  • [Mary]  Mike how are things going with getting your STS to build using Buckminster?
  • [Mike] There was a problem getting Eclipse 3.3 to work with SVN eclipse integration.  Have moved to 3.4 to see if that helps.

3. [Mary & David] Internationalization

  • David to post initial code to the dev list.
  • See  http://wiki.eclipse.org/Internationalization_Support
  • Awaiting  approval of Ipzilla item 2515 for reuse of a subset of Equinox jar for dependency
  • http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.osgi/supplement/src/org/eclipse/osgi/util/NLS.java
  • [Mary]The next topic is Internationalization. We are still waiting for Eclipse to approve Higgins’ use of the Equinox code.  The Equinox project lead had given me his approval, but Eclipse legal is double checking that the Equinox code we are planning on using was written entirely by the Equinox team.  There is a different procedure for approval if it included any third party code.
  • [Mary] David can you give us an update?
  • [David] Friday bug source with attachment.   Looking for feed back.
  • ….. Any comments?
  • [David] One concern about how messages were formatted.
  • [David] Will post bugzilla item to IRC.
  • [Ranjan] …Don’t want the third party code to be the limiting factor.
  • [Mary] Since the code had been previously approved for release by Eclipse, once Eclipse hears back from Equinox, approval should be quick, as Eclipse will not need to review the code itself.

4. [David, Greg, Markus, Rajalakshmi] Higgins Configuration Management

  • [Mary] Markus, David, do you have an update?
  • [David] Got some comments, wrangling on the API.  Think it is close to being ready. Haven’t tried to integrate everything yet.  May require a few other changes.  Pretty close to being ready.
  • [Markus] Do you need me to make any changes or are you going to do that?
  • [David] If it is ok with you, I think it is better if I commit the changes.
  • [Markus] Ok fine.

5. [Mohamad] New Oracle-provided Google Contacts Context Provider

  • Can we get an overview of functionality?
  • Does it implement each contact as a separate Entity?
  • [Mary] Mohamad is not on the call.
  • [Paul]  I haven’t looked at this call.  Had hoped he implemented it as a separated entity. Also my understanding from Tom Caroll is that the terms of service do allow people to not just ready their own data, can take the data and do what you want with it and do updates.  That is good because that is rare.

6. [Paul] Access Control —HR use case, this time for sure.

  • [Paul] The next thing is I did have a little time to work in this use case.
  • [Paul] Having a “self instance” is a long word, so started calling it a “self subject”.  It is really just a marker, so I made it a Boolean.  It is really just a convenience marker.  I did go ahead and implement the changed talked about in the previous call.  Self operation: with add, modify and delete subsets of that.  So really just did some clean up and re-factoring.  I also realized that you don’t need the second policy.
  • [Discussion that there were problems with the Eclipse wiki displaying the updated diagram, that prevented others from seeing the revised diagram and commenting.]
  • [Paul] Not changing the semantics, just a slightly different way of expressing this.  So if there are no more comments, I think I’m ready to tackle other use cases.
  • [Jim] I don’t; see any difficulties…   (Of course, I can’t see the file.)
  • [Paul] I will try to fix the page and the file.
  • [Jim] The way you described it, it sounds right.
  • [Paul] I will fix the picture this afternoon and start tacking other use case.

7. [Paul] Next Higgins F2F

  • [Paul] Want to encourage people to use the doodle and indicate their availability there. As of right now, no one has signed up, so please indicate if you can attend the F2F.  Otherwise, we need to find another location
  • [Mike] Traveling to CA for day and a half means I can’t go
  • [Paul] If the meeting were longer, would that help?
  • [Mike] It would increase the probability of my justifying the long trip.
    [Paul] We are trying to minimize total travel cost.
  • [Paul] Please indicate if you can come or can come for a longer time.
  • [Mike] If the F2F is short, the discussion tends to be high level rather than low level.
  • [Paul] Please indicate and we will try to find a compromise.
  • [Paul] Mike there is one more thing not on the agenda.  I was looking at the future development of z-cards.
  • [Mike] I don’t have an update.  You might want to check with Tony.
  • [Paul] No Problem.
  • [Mary] It is summer, so we have another short call. Will see folks not on vacation next week.

end 12:21

Back to the top