Re: [higgins-dev] JNDI.CO NLS change Diff path file (Jim pleaseseethis)

Prakash, your comments/answers all look good to me.  I'm ok with you making these changes in the HEAD branch.

Jim

>>> Prakash C Mallick <prakash.mallick@xxxxxxxxxx> 08/04/08 6:54 AM >>>

Hi Jim,
           Please see my comments below marked blue.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakash
Advisory Software Engineer,
Tivoli Security Products
ETZ, Plot No. 3 , Rajiv Gandhi Infotech Park
Phase II, Hinjewadi, Pune - 411057
Ph: +91-20-42025544
e-mail: prakash.mallick@xxxxxxxxxx

"Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/02/2008 01:45 AM

Please respond to
"Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions"        <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

Re: [higgins-dev] JNDI.CO NLS change Diff path file (Jim        please seethis)

Prakash, here are some notes/questions:

1) the.project file shows that you've added a builder that we don't use called com.ibm.etools.common.migration.MigrationBuilder.  Is that part of this change, or should we ignore that?

Prakash : Please ignore this .project file content as I used RAD (IBM's eclipse based IDE) for adding those changes.

2) (aesthetics only) we could shorted the names of the static strings in JNDIContextMessages by removing the "JNDICNTXT_"  since they are all in "JNDIContextMessages" we probably don't need this prefix.

Prakash: Agreed.

3) There are a number of methods in JNDIContextMessages that could be placed in a new project (like org.eclipse.higgins.util.localization) since these methods will likely be duplicated in other projects.

Prakash : Yes we should use a common component such as  org.eclipse.higgins.util.localization as mentioned by you.
(Initially when I globalized these components here for our use, I was looking for such common component, but was bit hesitant to add another new component. But it seems this perfectly fine as per you to add one such compoenent.)

4) (aesthetics only) I'd prefer to rename JNDIContextMessages to JNDICPMessages so it doesn't make people think it contains only messages for JNDICOntext.java
Prakash : Agreed.
5) Would people prefer to have a single bind method which takes a string and an array of objects rather than a lot of overloaded bind methods?
Prakash : This is possible, but each time somebody wants to make a bind call, he has to take the burden of converting these  arguments to Object arrays. Overloading these methods will increase the usability in my opinion.

6) In the .properties file, can we place comments in front of lines which have replacement variables (like {0} and {1}).  for example:
# {0} is an error code and {1} is an entity ID
SOME_STATIC_STRING=Encountered error code {0} while reading entity: {1}

This will help translators build text that makes more sense

Prakash : Yes we can use comments as # . This properties are nothing but Java ResourceBundle propeties files .

7) Note that some of these files will need to be merged up to the latest code since a number of changes have taken place since you started editing.

Prakash : If you please provide me the  branch information of latest code, I can extract and merge the final changes after I get the confirmation from you on above changes.

Jim and Tom

>>> Prakash C Mallick <prakash.mallick@xxxxxxxxxx> 08/01/08 5:32 AM >>>

Hi Jim,
     I am attaching a new zip file  jndi_cp_nls_change.zip to this Change Request for review.
This zip file contains following entitities
       1. jndicp_nls_change_patch.txt (diff patch created using eclipse IDE after merging nls change)
       2. nls.jar (The nls change that is needed by jndicp needs   during build and run time)
       3. org.eclipse.higgins.idas.cp.jndi (modified source files)

Please make sure nls.jar is in your runtime and build time class path if you want to test or build the above changes. I hope you must be aware of that,  Mary Ruddy is already working on the approval of all legal issues associated with this package(nls.jar which is created from eclipse's nls OSGI bundle).

NOTES : In jndi-cp there are many log calls as "_log.debug(...msg.) .I found these calls are enabled by default immaterial of debug or normal mode of execution, so I have gloablized these messages .