RE: [higgins-dev] Isolating NLS.java functionality fromorg.eclipse.osgi_3.3.2.R33x_v20080105.jar

Quick response.  Creating a new jar of very small size is highly desirable.  Subsetting should not be a problem.  Modifying would take a little longer to investigate. What are the advantages of option 2?

From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Prakash C Mallick
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:32 AM
To: higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [higgins-dev] Isolating NLS.java functionality fromorg.eclipse.osgi_3.3.2.R33x_v20080105.jar

Hi All,
        To avoid using the whole org.eclipse.osgi_3.3.2.R33x_v20080105.jar in order to exploit the functionality in org.eclipse.osgi.util.NLS class,  we can use one of  the following ways to create a new jar of very small size with same NLS based functionality as provided by the above eclipse OSGI jar.

1. Extract NLS.class and other couple of dependant classes from org.eclipse.osgi_3.3.2.R33x_v20080105.jar to create a new jar for IdAS usage.  OR
2. Use directly the NLS.java and customize a bit to replace eclipse based logging calls with apache common log  calls as used by IdAS and build a new jar for IdAS usage.

In both of the above cases I am not sure which one is better and feasible w.r.t. eclipse open source license and other legal issues . Please provide your opinion with all supporting  information related to legals so that  we can use one of the above approach  to exploit NLS funtionality as we need to globalize IdAS components in accordance with eclipse globalization guidelines.
Please let me know if you think there is any other way we can achieve the same.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakash
Advisory Software Engineer,
Tivoli Security Products
India Software Lab, IBM Software Group
Ozone, SP Infocity, Saswad Road, Fursungi, Pune 412 308
Ph: +91-20-2690-1013
e-mail: prakash.mallick@xxxxxxxxxx