Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: [higgins-dev] IdAS interface questions

is there a bug for this?  I've been trying to be better at prioritizing and working out of bugzilla

>>> "Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx> 06/26/08 10:36 AM >>>

Let me repeat what I think you are asking for so I know I'm on the same page:  Today an attribute selection list is limited to specifying which attributes to return.  This is a good start, but even this is not enough to cause a "minimal" amount of data to be returned (in the case where a CP talks over a connection to its backing data).

The proposal is to allow more fine-grained control over the attributes to be returned.  Specifically, we want the selection list to be able to point at sub-elements within complex attributes.

Your proposed interface looks to me like it should work for that purpose.

Should we retain the existing semantics?  Currently we say that the selection list is essentially a statement made by the caller which expresses the attributes (and now specific parts of attributes) he intends to read.  But, if he happens to try to read other attributes those reads should succeed (but performance may be slower due to him not declaring his intent to read them).  So, should we keep these semantics?  I think we should, but it *may* place a small extra burden on the CP writer (depends on the nature of the CP).

Jim

>>> "Yuriy Pilipenko" <ypilipenko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 06/26/08 7:15 AM >>>
Hi Jim.
Just a reminder. Would You please consider making such a change to IdAS
iterfaces together with others doing recently. I guess this also can help in
ussue spoken out by Deniel yesterday about XDI CP - knowing what exactly
entity attributes it should request at a time.

Thanks, Yuriy.