[higgins-dev] Notes from June 19 Higgins developers call

Notes from the Higgins Developers call on Thursday, June 19:

Attendees
=========
 Charles Andres
 Paula Austel - IBM
 Jeff Broberg CA
 Duane Buss - Novell
 Anthony Bussani - IBM Zurich
 * Greg Byrd - NCSU/IBM
 * Brian Carrol - Serena
 Tom Doman - Novell
 * Andy Hodgkinson - Novell
Valery Kokhan - Parity Ukraine
*  David Kuehr-Mclaren - IBM
 Mike McIntosh - IBM
 Tony Nadalin - IBM
Dale Olds - Novell
 Uppili Srinivasan - Oracle
Drummond Reed - Cordance
* Bruce Rich - IBM
 * Mary Ruddy - Meristic/SocialPhysics
* Markus Sabedello - Parity
 Jim Sermersheim - Novell
George Stanchev - Serena
 Daniel Sanders
Paul Trevithick - Parity/SocialPhysics
Brian Walker - Parity
 Jeesmon Jacob  - Parity
 Carl Binding  - IBM
 * Tom Caroll - Parity
 * Ernst Plassmann  - IBM
* Mohamad - Oracle
* Hank Mauldin - Cisco

* Attendees

Meeting Notes

1) [Brian] 1.1M2 (19-June target (was 13-June))
* See: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_1.1M2
* Status of finalizing 1.1M2:
UPDATE: We are doing the release build for M2 today. There are just two components that are failing daily build:
  • org.eclipse.higgins.crpps
  • org.eclipse.higgins.crpps.feature.
Once these are fixed we will go back and make an additional build for these two components. The M3 release is targeted for 25-July.

2) [Brian] Nightly Auto-Test
----------------------------
* Update on  configuration automatic runs of test scripts, next steps after
conference call with  Buckminster project:
UPDATE:  We (Mike M. and Brian W) met with Thomas Hallgren of Buckminster last week (12-June) to review auto build/test capabilities and collaboration. From this meeting we are conducting follow ups to (a) review with Thomas what we do in Higgins for auto-builds and (b) Mike is looking into auto-test capability with other Buckminster/IBM project connections. The initial goal is to use STS as a pilot trial to developing some autotest/build capability that could be used as reference for other Higgins components.

3) [Brian & David] internationalization
---------------------------------------
* requirements (Pending David being ready for more discussion):
UPDATE:
David has posted a proposal on baseline internationalization (I18N) and localization (L10N) support here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Internationalization_Support . Dave worked with Mike for localization specifics that were followed for STS component and looked at what Eclipse and other projects do for I18N and L10N. Two options were positioned as part of this proposal:
- Proposal 1 - place all translatable strings in one common messages package that would be the focal point for translations.
- Proposal 2 - each Higgins component/plug-in would have its own properties file containing translatable strings and messages can be translanted component by component. Eclipse guidelines for I18N (noted here) would also apply for this proposal and would need to be followed by Higgins as part of this adopting this proposal.
DISCUSSION:
- We discussed both options.  Proposal 2 would require a langage pack for each component and would have more properties files. However this would make the component translation more independent and would be aligned with Eclipse standards.  We are also assuming there are no OSGI run-time dependancies. While Proposal 1 would create a common component to focus on for L10N, it makes translation a bit less flexible and all components would need to carry the strings for all packages.
DECISION: It was decided that Proposal 2 would be the best approach. To start with we will use one project to instrument to learn from this and propogate learning from this to other projects. David will work with IdAS (Jim) to do proto and share the learnings. Based on the experience from this - we will then look to move this to other Higgins components.

4) [Mary] Home page design update
---------------------------------
* The latest template can be found at [1]
* We are now working on creating a mechanism for skinning the wiki, and are
polishing a number of elements.
UPDATE: Currently filling in content and polishing the template based on feedback from Eclipse. Have been focusing on wiki and webpage to have consistent look/feel. The goal is to have this finalized and up in few more days in time for ICF announcement next week (23rd). Also discussed the use of name, Open Source information Card vs. Open Source Information Card and Identity Framework. We can iterate and evolve through this item can be modified if needed in future.

5) [Paul, Jim, Markus] UDIs are now based on strings
* See [2]
* Wiki pages still need updating
UPDATE: Paul provided quick overview why the changes were made - specifically around absolute and relataive identifiers. Believe we have satisfied all requirements with this latest update.
DISCUSSION: The next thing is to do same thing for attribute UDI's - but this would be more complicated (multiple level of relative attributes). Would be nice if there was a format that was standard to handle cases such as entity attribute like phone number and wanted to reference someone elses phone number that has same value (just attribute on entity). Would be nice if did not have to put context ID. Drummond pointed out that we have XDI solution for this that could offer some guidance on how to deal with this. Will continue to follow through on this point on future updaes. It was also pointed out that the in-memory CP which uses IdAS SPI,-has implemented the control for deferencing entity udi's when appear as attribute values for example attribute (co-worker). With this, Higgins IdAS can now handle social network data.

6) [Paul] IdAS Access Control
-----------------------------
* See [3]
* We seem to be stalled
* Process for moving forward on this
* Need for "negative" operations
* Need for operator combination rules
UPDATES: Progress not stalled - just working on other things.  Need negative operations (e.g edit anything on entity except for password). These thoughts have been collected on wiki. Need to have everyone review and provide feedback on this. Jim noted that most of the implementation work is in the CP as well as classes in the IdAS packages as well. Once that is done then he can start removing i*model classes. Need to do a follow up meeting with Sergey L to make sure we are on the same page with his feedback. Brian to arrange this.  What is needed is to start getting some practical experience. We want to have an access control CP to put in front of other CP to get some experience.

7) [Paul] R-Cards and...
------------------------
* R-Cards and OpenID cards -- summarize discussion with John Bradley
* R-Cards and ID-WSF -- summarize discussion with Asa Hardcastle
UPDATES: The summary of conversations  with John Bradley on Dick Hart proposal from last summer focused on trying to understand overlap between OpenID card and r-card. Explored further and there is not an overlap. The Open ID can be handled as a claim type for r-card.

Summary of discussion with Asa - they don't have user friendly way to bootstrap the process. They do not have a UI specified. We could use r-card with UDI's that use xrds as meta data discovery mechanism. The service endpoint could have an endpoint reference to share an rcard with an RP. Once the RP received UDI it could be derefernced and the discovery could be retrieved. There was interest from Asa in pursuing this for integration of r-cards and ID-WSF . Novell was also interested in this broad area as well as those working in VRM area and French consortium.  Will move some of these conversations to higgins-dev list.

8) [Paul] ICF launch
--------------------
* Press release on Monday, June  23.
UPDATES: Announcement is scheduled for Mon 23rd. A number of groups/companies from Higgins are participating in this.

9) Other Topics?

There is a Catalyst meeting next week - but we *will* have a Higgins meeting next week.

Links
=====
[1] http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/nursery/index.php.
[2] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/higgins-dev/msg04698.html