[higgins-dev] Notes from Higgins developer's call on April 24th

Notes from the Higgins Developers call on Thursday, April 24.

 Attendees

=========

 Charles Andres

 Paula Austel - IBM

 Jeff Broberg CA

* Duane Buss - Novell

 Anthony Bussani - IBM Zurich

 Greg Byrd - NCSU/IBM

* Brian Carrol - Serena

 Tom Doman - Novell

* Andy Hodgkinson - Novell

Valery Kokhan - Parity Ukraine

 David Kuehr-Mclaren - IBM

* Mike McIntosh - IBM

* Tony Nadalin - IBM

Dale Olds - Novell

Ernst Plassmann - IBM

 Uppili Srinivasan - Oracle

Drummond Reed - Cordance

 Bruce Rich - IBM

Mary Ruddy - Meristic/SocialPhysics

* Markus Sabedello - Parity

 Jim Sermersheim - Novell

* George Stanchev - Serena

* Daniel Sanders

Paul Trevithick - Parity/SocialPhysics

* Brian Walker - Parity

 Jeesmon Jacob  - Parity

* Carl Binding  - IBM

 Tom Caroll - Parity

 Ernst Plassmann  - IBM

 * Attendees

Meeting Notes

=====================_

1) [Mary] Higgins website update. Continued fine tuning of navigation (more bugzilla items were entered for wiki nav control mechanism).  Started streamlining of other background text.

[Mary]  We are continuing to fine tune the navigation. There were problems with the handling of multi-tiered navigation in the Wiki navigation (two Eclipse bugzilla items have been entered to cover this. Again as a reminder, the wiki navigation cache seems to be refreshed only once a day on week days. We have also been working on cleaning up the web text: making it more consistent and removing redundancies and evolving our messaging.

2) [Mary] The Higgins and Bandit projects were given an award at the European Identity Conference (EIC) 2008 this week for path breaking initiatives for identity management based on open source.

[Mary] For those of you who were not at the European Identity Conference (EIC) this week: Bandit and Higgins won an award for path breaking initiatives for identity management in open source.  Novell Germany plans to issue a press release (in German).  I've seen a rough English translation of some of the draft.  Will pass this along when it is available.

3) [Brian] Please review your 1.1M1 items, if you haven't already done so. Still 55 items Wednesday evening. See [1]  More items are on 1.0.2 list.

[Brian] So some quick updates relating to the release date.  We had planned the milestone for May 2, but there are national holidays in a key country. So we have critical resource out.  So we are proposing to push it out. If there are any strong objections. Let me know. It will give us time to clean up the list.  Working with folks to encourage and facilitate the reviews of the open items.  Hopefully by the end of the week will get all the reviews done  We are identifying what can be done in M1 or moved to M2.   So I encourage others to please go through that list, by end of day Friday if at all possible.  Then I will update the wiki page accordingly to reflect the revised list.  Any comments?  requests related to M1?

[Brian] A quick comment on the 1.0.2 bug fix release.  Right now there are a couple of interop bugs parked there. There is no release date yet. Goal is to drive its contents according to the criteria. In the meantime keeping it as a placeholder. May leave the release date TBD for the next month or so.

 4) [Jim, Paul] Next steps for “Access Control in IdAS work area”

[Paul]  At the F2F, we talked about a new approach to access control where we would build the access control policy and model it as entities in the same data model as regular entities we are trying to protect. S we would start from scratch and define the semantics we want.   We had put out a request earlier for someone who would take over this kind of work area.  Jim had volunteered and I wanted to pass the baton to Jim.

[Jim] Yes. This seems like it is going in the right direction. So next steps are to get feedback on using entities as the policy statements. Then as long as everyone is good with that, we can start talking about how this actually looks. (i.e. how the relationships are set up etc.)  Paul had mentioned in a thread that it might be nice to also segregate policy entities from normal data entities. That reminded me that as we talk about moving to this, we  need to talk about the most natural way for people to view different planes of contexts  (e.g. just administration of access control or administration of the model, or seeing all the people.)  So these need to be hammered out along the way.  So I suppose this is the kind of thing that will need a lot of side discussion so we will need to have several focused phone calls as part of the design phase. So we need to gather ideas and when we have enough, schedule an hour phone call.  Make sense?

[Paul] That makes sense for me.  We had a wiki page.  Need to revisit it.

[Jim] Definitely. It gives us history of why we made certain decisions.  So that is my plan - make use of the wiki, keep discussions moving along and keep momentum by having a weekly phone call or in the area of once a week.  Do people prefer Doodle (for scheduling calls)?  Does that work for people or should we just ask for people’s preferences.  Like following the Higgins developers call.

[Drummond] (Right after the Higgins call) doesn't work for those on the XDI TC.

[Jim] Then I will do a Doodle pole.

[Paul] I have a bunch of thoughts on this. Seems we would be definitely making some sub classes, but mostly new attribute types.  We were thinking these would be augmented to the base Higgins model.  As opposed as making it an optional additional profile.

[Jim] That is what I would assume, but interesting. The only reason I can see for making it optional is if we have one access control profile.  Don’t want to have too many choices and complications from the application writer's point of view. So I'm in favor of defining those attributes in the base HOWL.

[Paul]  I can't help noticing when I was doodling about this, the interesting parallels of link contracts.  I began to see access control is really unilateral statements and they could be thought of as in the future, they could be generalized, to be bi-lateral and binding.  For example:  I'm Alice and I've let Bob have read access to my shoe size.  Some thing makes this decision and binds it to Alice’s shoe size. This is useful. This is also an example of a more general agreement of Alice and Bob coming to an agreement about access. So what I understanding linked contract to be - could actually have a binding contract between two entities that is much more expressive.  For example, Bob agrees on frequency of notification of updates or Bob agrees to delete it in 90 days. I just noticed this.  It might be an interesting roadmap. One nice thing about this approach is we are starting from scratch and so can implement the simple 80% stuff right away, yet keep an eye for more advanced use cases.

[Jm} So what we need right now are simple authorization statements.  But we don’t want to preclude opening it up for more general statements. There may be just a few architectural decisions that provide for a better path for more symmetrical statements between Alice and Bob.

[Drummond] Agree with Paul. I told others at XRI TC.  Markus and I and Paul want to see these things aligned as close as we can to make it easier for everyone. So I will bring all the thinking we have so far for linked contracts.

[Jim] Ok.  Is there a definition of a linked contract?

[Drummond]  I can send a link to the list.  Will send.

[Jim] I will get organized and try to shoot for a phone call early next week.

  5) [Mary] Opportunity to influence CardSpace 2.0 May 21-23.  Possible Higgins Face-to-Face with CardSpace team on afternoon of Wednesday the 21st or afternoon of Friday the 23rd. See [3] for link to wiki page to collect suggestions.  See [4] for persons who may attend.  Microsoft is looking into seeing if they can agree to have their CardSpace engineers participate in this half day session if it is run as a Higgins meeting.  There would be no restrictions on attendance at this half day session.

[Mary] Now that Mike J is back from vacation, I have more information on the plan.  Microsoft is having a CardSpace event on the May 22 and the morning of May 23.  They would also like to have a separate CardSpace Higgins meeting either on the afternoon of May 23rd or on May 21st in which Higgins and the CardSpace engineers can have a more detailed drill down discussion of things we would like changed in CardSpace. The CardSpace engineers at a place in the project plan where they can still make changes.  We have talked about having this Higgins CardSpace meeting be run as a Higgins meeting.  Microsoft lawyers are looking into where they can participate under these rules. Current estimate is there is a 50-50 chance.

[Mike] Even if they aren’t able to do this, people could still participate as individuals.

[Mary] Yes, and we will continue to work on approval for it being a Higgins meeting...

[Drummond] That is a good.

[Mary] So the question is whether it is better to have this meeting on Friday afternoon or Wednesday.  Microsoft suggested that Friday would be better as it would be after the discussion in the other meeting (estimated to have ~60 people.)

[Drummond]  Completely agree. But flying out late Friday may be difficult for some.

[Mike] I was thinking about Wednesday and also thinking about a separate Higgins F2F.

[Drummond] We don’t want to conflict with the Microsoft meeting.

[Mary] We could have the general Higgins meeting before the Microsoft meeting.  So we could run that on Tuesday and Wednesday. It has been a long time since we has a general Higgins F2F meeting. Some organization we know should be able to find us meeting space in the area.

[Jim] So no overlap between the Higgins and Microsoft meeting.

[Mike] We could start Monday afternoon. It is a long way to go for some people.

[Mike] We have an office in Kirkland.

[Mary] I will retire the last Doodle and create two new ones.

[Jim] We will know today who we can send. Will also check if we have sales facilities.

[Mary] I will send out two doodles.  One for the timing of a general Higgins F2F and the other for the timing of the Higgins-CardSpace meeting which will be either Wednesday or Friday afternoon.

[Mary] Any other topics?

[Tony] We need to discuss the data model again.  I don't believe everything is globally addressable.

[Jim] Don't think it has to be.

[Paul] We agree on that one.

[Tony] That is not what is coming across in any of the notes so far. A context doesn’t need to have a globally unique identifier. I may have something that I don’t want to share globally.

[Mary] Right.

[Paul] We are in agreement in principle.  I will go back and review the wiki to make sure it is consistent. I will take the task to go through all the wiki pages again.

[Drummond] That brings up the issue that these may not be URI's. They may be, but are not required to be.

[Tony] Some things may already have identifiers. Don’t want to have to rename them.

[Drummond] We discussed the in the XRI TC. As long as the syntax is broad enough, allow for relative identifiers.

[Paul] Can we just talk about entity id's?  Closely related to context id's.  In the data model, which in my mind is distinct from IdAS, entities have an identifier that is created by a concatenation of a context id and relative position.

[Tony] Stands on its own and if want to concatenate them you can.  That is how a context can keep things local.

[Drummond] That would be a relative URI, if it had encoding, otherwise it would be a string.

[Paul] Tony is saying it is up to the context entirely.  It could just be a string.

[Tony] Yes.

[Paul] Do we loose ability to discover?

[Tony] Maybe that is what we want.

[Paul] I almost wish for a special character to know if it is resolvable.  So don’t have to do a test. Semantic web people have been slamming their heads against a wall on this issue.

[Paul] So the first part we agree.  Entity id doesn't need to be global or resolved

[Tony] I think this is true for contexts.

[Paul] Contexts need not be globally resolvable.  Are you also saying a context id could just be a string as well?.

[Drummond] I would argue you want to use the same structure.

[Tony] Could just be a country code.

[Drummond] Is the type of the identified just a string so you know the encoding?

[Paul]  We will need to change IdAS if we want the context string to be just foo.

[Markus] Today a context id can be just a string, in which case you look it up from the configuration file.

[Paul] So Tony you are proposing a string to be able to represent existing identifiers today.

[Jim] Would we describe a parse-able format that I would know as a consumer if this is a relative or globally resolvable string?

[Paul]That is exactly the issue.

[Jim] If we extend the discussion down to the attribute id, it could be relative to the entity it is on or could name the entity and attribute id, but not the context.  There are various levels of relative.

[Drummond] Attribute id could follow the same rules as entity and context.

[Paul] Tony is saying a string with no syntax.

[Paul] Tony is it acceptable to be able to encode +1 512 as a URI so we can therefore know that it is relative?

[Mike] Tony is traveling.

[Paul] I will take an action item for the next meeting, I will go through all the wiki pages and correct for the bias of making it all discoverable.  Still talking about using the phrase Global Graph – taking the lead from Tim Berners-Lee.

- end...

 [1]  https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Higgins&target_milestone=1.1M1&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

 [2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/CardSpace_wish_list

 [3] http://doodle.ch/participation.html?pollId=b52vz6iz2pna3eqq – now obsolete

Back to the top