[higgins-dev] Notes for April 10th Higgins developers call

Notes from the Higgins Developers call on Thursday, April 10.

 Attendees

=========

 Charles Andres

 Paula Austel - IBM

 Jeff Broberg CA

 *Duane Buss - Novell

 Anthony Bussani - IBM Zurich

 Greg Byrd - NCSU/IBM

* Brian Carrol - Serena

* Tom Doman - Novell

 Andy Hodgkinson - Novell

Valery Kokhan - Parity Ukraine

 David Kuehr-Mclaren - IBM

 Mike McIntosh - IBM

Dale Olds - Novell

Ernst Plassmann - IBM

 Uppili Srinivasan - Oracle

 Drummond Reed - Cordance

* Bruce Rich - IBM

*Mary Ruddy - Meristic/SocialPhysics

 Markus Sabedello - Parity

* Jim Sermersheim - Novell

 George Stanchev - Serena

* Daniel Sanders

Paul Trevithick - Parity/SocialPhysics

Brian Walker - Parity

 Jeesmon Jacob

 Carl Binding

 Tom Caroll

Ernst Plassmann - IBM (STS, RP)

 * Attendees

 Agenda and meeting notes

===============

1) [Paul] Higgins Face-to-Face access control conversation

- a proposal was put forward by Tony...

- use Entities & Attributes in the existing data model to represent access

control policy about the other, regular Entities & Attributes

- no XACML dependencies for implementations or interfaces

- we would use concepts from XACML, but express them in our own model

[Paul]  Tony was suggesting that we use the existing data model to model access control policy for the rest of the model instance. We could define attribute URI's that have semantics to refer to other URI's.  This would be something we build up from simple building block capabilities as we need, rather than take (whole hog) an existing set of semantics. We have a graph data model. Let’s use it and have entities in the model referred to other entities. That is the jist of the ideas. Comments?

[Paul] I will edit the access control wiki page and put more specificity on it so that people can comment.

(2) [Charles] OSIS interop at RSA.

[Mary] Charles is not on the call. We had our third “public” interoperability event last week.  There were over 50 projects and companies participating.  We found and are fixing a lot of bugs. We also had the opportunity to talk more with companies who are thinking about using Higgins.

[Paul]  It turned out to be more rubbing shoulders with people already involved, rather than a marketing opportunity. It felt productive.

3) [Brian] 1.0.1 bug fix release status update and learnings/plans for next release

[Brian] Status on patch release. We learned a lot about the process in terms of making sure things are buttoned down.  I’m sending regular notices to the dev list.  Right now I’m making sure fixes were checked into the right branch.  It is still a work in process. Looking to capture all elements and hopefully get it out Friday. Will continue to update the dev list.  Also updated the proposal for criteria for future bug fix releases so people know to check bugs into the right place. That was the big learning for this release. Will try to apply new criteria to future bug fixes releases.

[Tom] Have a general question. I've gotten well over a 100 failure messages.

[Brian] There were some auto build problems we are cleaned up.

[Greg] So we don’t have to do anything?  This will be handled?

[Brian] Yes.

4) [Mary] Opportunity to influence CardSpace 2.0 May 22-23

- Should we have the next Higgins Face-to-Face in Redmond?

- See [2] for link to wiki page to collect suggestions.

[Mary]  We have often discussed things about CardSpace we would like changed. At the RSA interop, Microsoft offered to invite a few Higgins folks to Redmond to talk to their engineers about what we think can be improved. They are at a stage in their release process where they have the time to listen to input and to potentially still make changes.

[Mary]  Jim suggested that if we had a Higgins F2F in Redmond, it might be easier to get travel budget for this.

[Paul] A question, could we have the F2F at Microsoft?

[Mary] Microsoft said that they thought they could provide space.

[Paul] Cool.  We will send out a survey to vote on having the next F2F at Redmond.

[Tom] We can definitely talk about it on the Bandit team. We could arrange to send at least one may be two.

[Paul] If it is a Higgins meeting, the more the merrier.

[Tom] What would the dates be?

[Mary] Microsoft is available on May 22-23

[Tom] Bandit will talk about it.

[Jim] I agree that gives us a chance to run this by our people.

 [Paul] We will put out a survey and see who wants to come and see how big a room we need.

[Mary] I created a first wiki page [2] below to collect suggestions for changes to CardSpace. They could be about anything, the selector or the UI or the server side.  I will create a second wiki page for the F2F agenda.  (Page [3] below.)

[Paul] Any other topics?

[Daniel]  Did you see the IRC conversation this morning about people having an issue…. The problem is the Higgins app build.xml files outside of Eclipse had a dependency on Eclipse home.  Need to gen all the build.xml files yourself in Eclipse.  Seems counter productive.

[Paul] Brian, can you ping Valery?

[Daniel] I feel like there are multiple problems. A long time ago we agreed people should be able to pull down Higgins and install it without Eclipse itself. It appears that along the way we have invalidated that.

[Paul] It used to work, but now it doesn’t. Now you need Eclipse.

[Brian] I’m pinging Valery.

[Daniel] It is in the IRC log for last hour or so.

[Paul] Let’s hope Valery can get some clarity on that.

[Paul] I don’t think you have a (real) dependency on the core runtime. It appears to have snuck in.

[Paul] Anything else?

.-end

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_1.0.1

[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/CardSpace_wish_list