[higgins-dev] Notes for Higgins Developers call on April 3, 2008

Notes for the April 3rd Higgins developer's call

 Attendees

=========

 Charles Andres

 Paula Austel - IBM

 Jeff Broberg CA

 Duane Buss - Novell

 Anthony Bussani - IBM Zurich

* Greg Byrd - NCSU/IBM

 Brian Carrol - Serena

* Tom Doman - Novell

* Andy Hodgkinson - Novell

Valery Kokhan - Parity Ukraine

 David Kuehr-Mclaren - IBM

* Mike McIntosh - IBM

Dale Olds - Novell

Ernst Plassmann - IBM

 Uppili Srinivasan - Oracle

 Drummond Reed - Cordance

* Bruce Rich - IBM

* Mary Ruddy - Meristic/SocialPhysics

* Markus Sabedello - Parity

 Jim Sermersheim - Novell

 George Stanchev - Serena

* Daniel Sanders

* Paul Trevithick - Parity/SocialPhysics

* Brian Walker - Parity

 Jeesmon Jacob

* Carl Binding

 Tom Caroll

* Ernst Plassmann - IBM

 Meeting Notes

===============

[Mary] This meeting is going to be short, since many of us are pushing to get ready for the RSA show.

1) [Mary] Website update project. See: [1]  have versioned HGG page

[Mary] We have implemented versioning for the Higgins Global Graph page, and are in the process of updating the new 1.0 and 1.1 pages so that they have the correct information for each release (node, etc.)  If all goes well, we will proceed with versioning other pages.  The instructions for versioning can be found at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_Committers_and_Contributors#Documentation

 2) [Brian] What Higgins is going to be showing at RSA

We are going to show the AIR selector working with FF and IE to log into an RP site. We will also be able to show the user changing their selector (from AIR to CardSpace).

[Brian]   We plan to set up Paul and Mary's machines tomorrow to showcase the AIR selector A user can use the AIR selector for the basics of get a card and login. We will also show the control panel application to the selector selector, and the ability to change selectors.  (From AIR to CardSpace) and do same thing,  The final piece, no guarantees yet, is to show the selector interacting with a small mapping application. This is still in process.
[Paul] That is just part of what show. Jim and Dale will also be showing their GTK/Cocoa selector, and IBM will be showing their RCP selector.

  3) [Brian] 1.0.1 bug fix release now scheduled for April 4. See [2]

[Mary]  The 1.0.1 bug fix date has been moved to accommodate the continued bug fixing being done for RSA

[Brian]  It is pushed it out a week. Targeting this Friday. Daniel just completed two more bugs.  Also pushing for some RP stuff as well. Will send out email once we are done and ready to do that actual build. Tentatively planned for this Friday.  Based on call last week, moved off some of the items that people said wouldn't be done to the next release.  We can review the candidate 1.1 M1 list after  1.0.1 is done.

[Mary]   As part of closing our first bug fix release, Brian has been working on the criteria for inclusion in a bug fix release.

 4) [Brian} Proposed criteria for bug fix releases

- Patch releases (e.g. 1.0.X number scheme) would be a combination of bug fixes for the following type of bug severity:

a) bugs that cause a crash a crash of the overall Higgins system or Higgins based application.

b) bugs that cause a loss of any persistent data.

c) bugs that cause a severe security breach where sensitive end user data is compromised or exposed to the outside.

d) bugs that cause a "major" feature to not function and there is no workaround available to accomplish the same task.

e) bugs that cause a "major" business impact such as loss of revenue or customers.

For all other bugs fixes of lesser severity than those described above, they will be included as part of major or minor (point) Higgins releases and not necessarily included as part of a special bug fix release. The bug fixes included in the major or minor (point) releases would include such items as:

- bugs that cause and aspect of a feature to not work properly.

- bugs are that are cosmetic in nature, misspellings in dialogs, annoying to users

{Brian] Mike raised good questions last week on the call. Rather than creating a lot of extra work doing things twice, we need to consider what should be included in a bug fix release.  I looked at other Eclipse projects and put together a proposal that provides criteria for what justifies a potential item for the bug fix release.  We can apply these criteria against any new bugs.  I sent the proposal to the list earliest this morning to get comments on it. Only severity 1 items are done.  Else move to the main line.  ried to leave some wiggle room. Some things are subjective so there is a business clause I included some examples to give people a feel for the criteria. I can take comments now or you can reply to the email.

 Silence

 5) [Charles] RSA 2008  final update

----------------------------

- Discussion of logistics

- I3: wiki status at T-minus .5 weeks

- Technical support of effort appreciated

- OSIS participants, media alert

[Mary] Charles is not here as he is making final preparations for RSA, which is in a few days. There will be an OSIS media alert Monday at 8:30 AM about all the groups participating in the OSIS interop.  The interop is Tuesday and Wednesday from 11:00 to 6:00 with the public part from 4:00 to 6:00 PM.  There will be food from 4:00 to 6:00.   We appreciate all the hard work that everyone is doing.

 Higgins side meeting at RSA Tuesday at 8:00 AM. See [3]

IBM has generously provided a location for this meeting at their office at

IBM San Francisco

425 Market Street

Room:

SFC-5761-20-20340/West Area (San Francisco/Bldg. 5761/20th Flr/Room

20340).

4/8 8:00am-1:00pm:  See the beginnings of an agenda wiki at [3] below

[Mary] IBM has graciously offered their offices for an informal Higgins F2F on Tuesday AM before the interop starts.  Their offices are just a few blocks from Moscone. I've created a wiki page (below) with the logistics and a place holder for an agenda.

[Mary] Are there anymore topics or comments for today?

[Daniel The Bandit card site and Wag site both now can issue cards that are backed by X.509 certificates. Currently only works on CardSpace.

[Bruce Rich] I have question about level of support for  X.509 cards. There was a modification to the generator class, are there any other fixes going in?

[Daniel]  There are three changes:

1. XML Context Provider was changed to allow X.509 certification as authentication credential

2. The information card generator code was modified to allow setting of an X.509 thumbprint as a card's authentication credential

3. The IdP was UI was modified to allow a user to create an information card with an X.509 certificate as its authentication credential

The  STS already has support for x.509.

[Mary Great. If there is nothing more, than we will end the call early so that we can be back to preparing for the interop at RSA.

-end

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Website_and_Wiki_Backlog

[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_1.0.1

[3] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Apr_8_RSA_F2F_Agenda  http://doodle.ch/2z5s96btg5wha7yg