From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrew Hodgkinson
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 2:42 PM
To: Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions
Subject: RE: [higgins-dev] AppliesTo in the RST

Hi George,

Section 7.2 of the icard tech ref states "One of the significant goals of the Windows CardSpace system is to ensure that any claims the system releases are exposed only to the Relying Party intended by the user.  For this reason, the system encrypts the self-issued token under the key of the Relying Party before sending it.  This guarantees that a token intended for one relying party cannot be decoded by (or be meaningful to) any other."  This paragraph, of course, pertains to the SIP.  I don't see anything in the spec that requires the STS to encrypt the token, but it seems like it should be a best practice, or at very least, an option that can be configured.

If the STS doesn't require the appliesTo information, the selector will extract the token from the RSTR and encrypt it prior to passing it to the relying party.  If appliesTo is sent to the STS, the selector will pass the token to the relying party without performing any encryption.

Thanks,

Andy

>>> "George Stanchev" <Gstanchev@xxxxxxxxxx> 03/07/08 1:31 PM >>>

Hi Daniel,

Where in the specs does it state that if AppliesTo is present, the token must be encrypted?

eorge