Re: [higgins-dev] LDAP Servers used with JNDI CP

Having proxied just about every LDAP server on the planet, support is very inconsistent indeed. Even if an LDAP server supports ProxyDN, it's application to access control may vary as well. Part of the problem with LDAP is that access control itself was never standardized.

Somehow there needs to be a do-over on this one. Maybe privacy is enough of an impetus to revise or replace ProxyDN and rejuvenate interest in it. My thought is we need a control to take on broader transaction metadata - only part of which could be application and subject credentials.

The second requirement is to propose XACML (or a profile of XACML like AAPML) be optionally supported in LDAP. This is the policy engine that would consume the metadata mentioned above and brings some level of consistency of expectation for what happens from the perspective of policy.

Phil Hunt
Oracle